www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Issue When Attempting to Force 'Save File' Prompt with PHP

Issue When Attempting to Force 'Save File' Prompt with PHP

Hello,

I'm attempting to create a form button which allows users to simple click to download mp3 files from my website. So far I have successfully created a button which, when clicked, forces the browsers 'Save File' prompt. However, once the download begins, it fails after downloading around 0.5kb.

The code I'm using is as follows...

/DownloadPHP/All_Eyes_On_You_Acoustic.php
    Code:
    <?php
    header('Content-disposition: attachment; filename=/Tracks/All_Eyes_On_You_Acoustic.mp3');
    header('Content-type: audio/mpeg');
    readfile('/Tracks/All_Eyes_On_You_Acoustic.mp3');
    ?>
    /index.php
    Code:
    <form><input type="button" value="Download" onClick="window.location.href='DownloadPHP/All_Eyes_On_You_Acoustic.php'"></form>

My understanding of PHP is essentially null, and the above code is in fact the result of a number of google searches on the subject, so I am at a complete loss as to how to fix this issue, and I've been unable to find a solution thus far.

The reason for using individual files to change the header content disposition, rather than applying it to all files of that type, is because I also wish to include a link on the page which will open the file within the browser.

Appriciate any replies.

Hmm. You shouldn't provide a path in header command. Really all the filename flag in the header is just telling the browser what to name the file when downloaded.

Try changing from

Code:
    header('Content-disposition: attachment; filename=/Tracks/All_Eyes_On_You_Acoustic.mp3');');
    to

Code:
    header('Content-disposition: attachment; filename="All_Eyes_On_You_Acoustic.mp3"');
    and see if that works

Thanks ScottAN

I've change this but it hasn't resolved the issue unfortunately.

Try this too...

PHP Code:
    readfile($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/Tracks/All_Eyes_On_You_Acoustic.mp3'); 
    Make sure the path is correct, use echo and file_exist() to debug.
    Last edited by MrCoder; 01-09-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Thread Information