www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Web site layout sizing?

Web site layout sizing?

Hey guys,

I'm designing a few sites for some friends meant for viewing from a desktop. I am pretty familiar with HTML and have used it before but mostly with templates. I am not sure what sizing to use for my layout container. I am developing an application mostly for desktops. What sizing should I use??

I have a 1920 x 1080 screen size for my development machine but not sure how to make my site look right for multiple different screen sizes. Should I develop against a 1280-1024 screen size which apparently is the average screen size..? Should I use Percentages or fixed width? I would appreciate any info..

The best way to figure out what statistics to use is by looking at the stats.

I build according to this: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp

Assuming 1024px wide is a pretty safe bet, works well on netbooks and iPads. Personally, I don't like websites much wider than that, even on a big screen. If you want to get fancy research responsive design. Smashing Magazine really pushes that technique to the hilt, overdoing it a little I think. Try resizing your browser with that page up.

Quote Originally Posted by handcraftedweb View Post
    Smashing Magazine really pushes that technique to the hilt, overdoing it a little I think.
    Overdoing it? I think they've mastered the technique. The website looks beautiful on every screen size!
    I'm always up for networking with fellow web professionals. Connect with me on LinkedIn if you like!

Quote Originally Posted by cbVision View Post
    Overdoing it? I think they've mastered the technique. The website looks beautiful on every screen size!
    It is impressive but I think things move around too much. For instance, when I change orientation on an iPad some nav menu items disappear, and this causes me to stop, think, look around for those lost items, etc.

That is the problem with different browsers.

Thread Information