www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Small website

Small website

I'm starting a project to build a small website for a small non-profit org. The workers there are not technical. I will provide support for a while, but eventually will move on.

I want to build a site that's not too difficult for someone to learn to support, and/or the technology is widely known and a semi-technical volunteer can be found.

I can create the site either with Joomla or plain old fashioned html. I think html is best for this case. What's your advice?

I would always recommend using a CMS instead of plain HTML in such cases, because it gives more independence to the company in administrating the website when you will decide to leave them on their own.

Just a small tip: for the contact page of the website check out 123ContactForm online form and survey builder. It integrates with Joomla as well as plain HTML pages. They also have pretty good discounts for NPOs, as I have heard.

Any plans of using Wordpress for your site? I recommend it since it is a lot more easier.

Wordpress is more for a blog website. If it is more for a non profit organization, and it is a site that needs more than a basic blog, I would recommend Drupal rather than Joomla. Although, the last time I installed Joomla was 1.6. I noticed the SEO was more on the coding side. I have experience with Joomla and a non profit organization. It seems to be harder to teach to run for non techincally inclined personel. I have not used Drupal on a client site currently but the admin panel seems to be easier to navigate than Joomla's admin panel.
    Ryan Condron
    Freelance Web Developer
    http://www.rebelwebdevelopment.com

i suggest you to work on drupal and wordpress

Quote Originally Posted by rebelweb2007 View Post
    Wordpress is more for a blog website. If it is more for a non profit organization, and it is a site that needs more than a basic blog, I would recommend Drupal rather than Joomla. Although, the last time I installed Joomla was 1.6. I noticed the SEO was more on the coding side. I have experience with Joomla and a non profit organization. It seems to be harder to teach to run for non techincally inclined personel. I have not used Drupal on a client site currently but the admin panel seems to be easier to navigate than Joomla's admin panel.
    I am trying to find a CMS identical to vbulleton to run a community portal has any one got any ideas for a good secure CMS for a non profitable community portal/CMS
    my excisting web is here www.clickonsthelenaisland.com
    would appreciate a responce.
    I wish i could justify Vbulletons cost look forward to any idea's
    JC

I would also suggest WordPress. It was designed originally as a blogging platform, however it has thousands of plugins, features and tools that make it far more than just a simple blogging system.

I have experience with Drupal, Joomla and WordPress and honestly client side is the easiest with WordPress. Joomla's admin panel can be exceptionally confusing to say the least.

Vbulletin is actually pretty similar to bbpress or simple press (both of which work in WordPress). Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnymac View Post
    I am trying to find a CMS identical to vbulleton to run a community portal has any one got any ideas for a good secure CMS for a non profitable community portal/CMS
    my excisting web is here www.clickonsthelenaisland.com
    would appreciate a responce.
    I wish i could justify Vbulletons cost look forward to any idea's
    JC
    VBulletin isn't a CMS. It's a forum software. For forum software, I recommend Simple Machines. If you want an actual CMS, Joomla or Drupal are good places to start.

Drupal has a greater functionality, but WP is much simplier. So I think you just have to choose of these two.

Thread Information