www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: css3 gradient and border-radius

Post css3 gradient and border-radius

hi all,

this is my first post so sorry in advance for any mistakes.

the problem I'm facing is that i try to use both a gradient background and rounded corners on a div and it all works fine in chrome, firefox and opera but in ie the minute i use the gradient it flows out of the rounded corners.

below is the code snippet for the css

Code:
    .divcss3{
       border-radius:10px; /* rounded corners */
       height:70px;
       border:1px solid #000;
       background: #9a4a0d; /* Old browsers */
       background: -moz-linear-gradient(top,  #9a4a0d 0%, #611e03 100%); /* FF3.6+ */
       background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(0%,#9a4a0d), color-stop(100%,#611e03)); /* Chrome,Safari4+ */
       background: -webkit-linear-gradient(top,  #9a4a0d 0%,#611e03 100%); /* Chrome10+,Safari5.1+ */
       background: -o-linear-gradient(top,  #9a4a0d 0%,#611e03 100%); /* Opera 11.10+ */
       background: -ms-linear-gradient(top,  #9a4a0d 0%,#611e03 100%); /* IE10+ */
       background: linear-gradient(top,  #9a4a0d 0%,#611e03 100%); /* W3C */
    filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr='#9a4a0d', endColorstr='#611e03',GradientType=0 ); /* IE6-9 */
    }
    would appreciate any help regarding this.

I can't really say why it's doing that since I've never tried actually coding a gradient. I've always just gone into Photoshop (or a similar image editing program) and created a blank document and filled it with the gradient I wanted, then set that image as the Div's background image. Just seems much cleaner to me.

yeah i know but i'm actually trying to do it in css only. failing which i guess i'll have to go back to an image.

I've resorted to not doing gradients in IE with the curved corners. As far as I can tell, this is a bug in the CSS3 implementation. Hopefully by the time the standard is solid and they come out with a conforming IE release, it'll be fixed.

JW: Take a look at the CSS gradients, they make life very much easier (IMO) than doing the same with various little images made in PS. When it works, that is

Dave

I can understand that. I'm not all that proficient in PS myself honestly. But when it comes to that CSS working properly it's a big if, especially when dealing with IE

Thread Information