dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: <DIV> layer TO <td> position?

<DIV> layer TO <td> position?

I have a problem... I want to use the <DIV> tag so I can toggle visibility on/off, so I've put all the <DIV> tags inside a <TD>. I know that's not proper HTML, but I want them to display IN or ON TOP OF that TD, since the layers are supposed to show up at the bottom of those cells. Naturally, as you experienced users know, putting all the <DIV> layers in there makes them jump around. They won't behave and seem to do random things.

HOW can I tack a <DIV>'s position to a TD? Or an image? Or something? I want it to always show up at the bottom...

Thanks!

C5

Re: <DIV> layer TO <td> position?

Originally posted by catsfive
    HOW can I tack a <DIV>'s position to a TD? Or an image? Or something? I want it to always show up at the bottom...
    If you are abusing <table> for layout it's going to be tricky, but otherwise it's easy.

You simply position an entity and every child of it will be positioned relative it.

Eg

<div style="position:relative; top:0; left:0;">

<div style="position:absolute; top:10px; left:10px;"></div>

</div>

The 3 divs nested in the original div will all be placed with their top left corner 10px down and to the right of the parent.

Oh, Stefan, this is a good idea, I didn't think of this.

However, OK, cool... how do I handle the position of the first layer? I want that layer to always be at the bottom of a table whose row count is always changing...

MC5

However, OK, cool... how do I handle the position of the first layer? I want that layer to always be at the bottom of a table whose row count is always changing...
    Did you actually try the code?

<div style="position:relative; top:0; left:0;">

It should do exactly what you ask for, but might mess up eg dynamic column width calculations.

No, I didn't try the code yet, because I already know it's not quite what I need. I need the DIV to be aligned to the <TD> it's in, and not at a certain position. The TD is always shifting around based on what data rows are there, so sometimes it could be lower, higher, etc.

I have seen a script that sort of does this-- it tacks a DIV to a TD cell but it works onMouseOver using the TD's like buttons, which I don't want. I want the page to put each DIV in a certain position (dictated by the position of that TD)... I hope this makes sense, and thanks for your input.

M

I need the DIV to be aligned to the <TD> it's in, and not at a certain position. The TD is always shifting around based on what data rows are there, so sometimes it could be lower, higher, etc.
    Sigh...
    Get back to me after you have tried the code.

Re: <DIV> layer TO <td> position?

I want to use the <DIV> tag so I can toggle visibility on/off, so I've put all the <DIV> tags inside a <TD>.
    Why do you need a <DIV> in the first place? Why don't you control the visibility of the <TD>?

Thread Information