www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How is an Interesting Object Pick From a map

Hybrid View

How is an Interesting Object Pick From a map

Hi there,

There is a very impressing web site or one of the best map app: www.mls.ca. Have a look by clicking on the Residential Properties and then "or by map".

Can you tell how to code this map pick? These include:

1. List multiple objects in a google map according to their addresses and
    2. pick one from the map.

These include server and also client side developments.

Thanks,

Don't fool yourself into thinking this is something that one person can do with a moderate work ethic and a month of free time. A team of developers and a large amount of knowledge about server-side and client-side technologies are required to build and maintain that map....at least one that is that high traffic and with a database as complex as MLS.ca

If you have a handful or very defined items that you want to plot on a google map, however. It's pretty simple, all you need to do is look at the Google Maps API

For the record, MLS.ca uses a Bing Map, not a google map.
    I've switched careers...
    I'm NO LONGER a scientist,
    but now a web developer...
    awesome.

Thank you so much, aj_nsc. At last someone knows the trick. I know it's very complex and requires tons of both server and client side knowledge and big big effort. I'll absolutely check out Google Maps API.

MLS.ca used google map before. Latter it changed to MS Bing map. I think google map has much better quality. Can you guess why MLS.ca changes to use MS Bing map?

Thanks,

I've used the bing maps api (in version 6) and I found it fairly difficult to use compared to google's simple API, so I doubt it was because it was technically easier for them to deal with, but it may have been a performance issue.....as you suggested though I'd only be guessing.
    I've switched careers...
    awesome.

It may have been a price issue, since Google is now implementing a usage fee for large volume users of its map API (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1071836.html).
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thanks, I think so. Is MS Bing map free for large volume of business usages?

I don't know: I'll leave that to you to Google (or Bing ).
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Bing Maps from the beginning has charged for large volume usage of it's API - although simple embedded (i.e. iframe) maps have always been free.
    I've switched careers...
    awesome.

Google charges $4/1000 clicks. That's very expensive, just for mls.ca case, if it uses google map, 20 clicks for each visit is very common. It's very easy for mls.ca to reach 35,000 clicks during 24 hours. That's absolutely very expensive.

Thanks,

I don't believe google actually charges that yet, but they do plan to. And that is $4/1000 map loads AFTER an initial 25,000 free ones.

For the record, Bing Maps also has a cost associated with it, but they don't publish it, you have to talk to a customer rep in order to get a quote.
    Last edited by aj_nsc; 02-07-2012 at 02:49 PM.
    I've switched careers...
    awesome.

Thread Information