www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Help please! Site is not showing correct format

Unhappy Help please! Site is not showing correct format

I am trying to get this site corrected, it is on Go Daddy. A couple of months ago the site wouldn't show up some "error 404"code. So I contacted Go Daddy and they told me to add "htaccess1" file to the server. So I did that, the site showed up again but without formatting, CSS or PHP is not linking to the HTML. (??) Go Daddy is no help. I have tried looking at the code and the file structure on the server but I really don't have any clue how to fix this.

Site is www.anacapapainting.com

So....could anyone help me?
    Thanks

This looks like a php script that is not being processed by PHP. What is the file name, and do you have it on a server that's running PHP?

Dave

The page is incomplete. This is the start of page as presented to browser:

Code:
    <?php
    	require_once('cmiadmin/config.php');
    	require_once('includes/index_header.php');
    ?>
    <!--white bg starts-->
    <div class="middle_white_bg">

<!-- text left start-->
    As you can see, there is no reference to a CSS file as well as a lot of missing HTML code.

Not sure what you put in the .htaccess1 file, but if same problem exists after as it did before, then remove the file. Need to check the PHP processing for your site. Pages reqire the .php extension unless there is a rewrite condition set on the original .htaccess file (if any).

Quote Originally Posted by tracknut View Post
    This looks like a php script that is not being processed by PHP. What is the file name, and do you have it on a server that's running PHP?

Dave
    Hi Dave,
    Thanks for your response.
    As far as I know it the server has PHP running. There are several php files on the server: settings.php, resize-class.php, info.php, image.php, gdform.php, file.php, 404.php. There is also a folder called php_uploads.

You didn't mention the file name of what you've got? To test for sure if you have php, make yourself a file called "info.php" and put in it:
    Code:
    <?php
    phpinfo();
    ?>
    Drop it on the server, and then bring it up in your browser. If you're running php you should see several pages of "information" come at you.

Dave

Thanks Major Payne!
    O.K. I see the usual HTML is missing. I double checked the name of the file, it is named "index.html". (??)
    The rep from GoDaddy had directed me to create that .htaccess1 file to get the site back up. I will delete that file and see what happens. I don't know if there was a rewrite condition on the original .htaccess file.

Let me see what happens when I delete that .htaccess1 file.....

Hi Again Dave,
    O.K. I deleted the .htaccess1 file and looks like it didn't change anything. I looked at the info.php file and it did pull up a bunch of info. http://www.anacapapainting.com/info.php

The file name, do you mean the default file, "index.html" ?
    So sorry if I sound kinda confused.

Ok, so you do have PHP (good), but you don't have PHP processing your .html files. So one solution of course is just to rename index.html to index.php and that should work.

If you don't want to do that, then you're going to need to get your .htaccess file working. If so, show us what's in it now - you should have something like:
    Code:
    AddType application/x-httpd-php .htm .html
    AddHandler x-httpd-php .htm .html
    in it.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalGal View Post
    Thanks Major Payne!
    O.K. I see the usual HTML is missing. I double checked the name of the file, it is named "index.html". (??)
    The rep from GoDaddy had directed me to create that .htaccess1 file to get the site back up. I will delete that file and see what happens. I don't know if there was a rewrite condition on the original .htaccess file.

Let me see what happens when I delete that .htaccess1 file.....
    Your file names should be using the extension .php and not .html.

Hi Ron and Dave,
    Thanks so much I am going to change the index.html file to index.php. See what happens. (I'm crossing my fingers)
    ~Kathleen

O.K. so at least I got the home page up. That's the good part, now I have to get the other pages to format properly.
    I experimented a little. I changed the faq.html file to faq.php, that didn't work at all when the link on the home page was clicked, no page came up. So I changed it back to faq.html.
    There is no .htaccess file on the server. Could that possibly be the problem? I think I might have deleted it when I had called customer support @GoDaddy and they told me to create that .htaccess1 file.
    ~Kathleen

If your links are still using .html for the file extensions, they will have to be edited to reflect the correct extension. Since GoCrappy had you name yours .htaccess1, doubt the server even picked this one up as it is looking for .htaccess without the "1".

As long as your site is generating content with PHP, the pages need to be using the .php extension. The site's includes are generated using PHP so you are missing a lot of content on your pages.

Thanks Ron! I am getting to work changing this up and changing those extensions and links. Thanks again

Thread Information