www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Which file format to use?

Which file format to use?

OK I am trying to find what would be the best format to use for the next purpose

I am trying to create a system where users can upload their document. which would then be shared on line in the form of html pages. I need to pick a single format in which they will upload their documents. I was thinking using XML, but different word processors seem to be creating different XML code any other format I could look into. also considering microsoft's DOCX.

The format must be such that people can save the documents in it in any word processor and I must be able to read it in in PHP

Any ideas welcome

Cheers

RTF, I would go with RTF.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

I'll start from this one, as there are some tools already available

But not stopping at this

Thanks for advice

PDFs are rather universal as well. Pretty much any word processor worth anything can create one.

Well, I do know some people that still use word97

But PDF was going to be the next standard implemented

PDF format is adapted to preserve accomplished documents. There seems not to be the case...

RTF format presents the advantages : to be able to be read on a personal computer (including a Mac) without having Microsoft Word and to be build with PHP (It's easy with templates). It seems useful to propose drafts to finalize a document (for example to prepare a poster of classified ads from those published on a site).

Then the text format, like HTML files, seem the best response... But files with scripts ? with images ? An editor, like that used here, (which allow copy and paste) would maybe constitute the best solution ? Unless a form would be more adapted for register formatted data ?

NB : As far I know, PHP can read all files.
    Last edited by 007Julien; 03-16-2012 at 06:12 AM.

Thread Information