dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Question from a newb about forced cache reset

Question from a newb about forced cache reset

Hi there I'm new here this is my first post. I have just gotten back into the web game working for the girl scouts of utah as their web dev/web graphic designer. The site is already created and I have begun to make a number of updates and changes. Initially I noticed that I had to reset my browser everytime I wanted to see the changes I made take place. After a while I realized this was a problem so I searched out a solution to make the cache reset automatically. I found this bit of code that I was to add to the <head> area of the site:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Cache-Control" CONTENT="no-cache">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma-directive" CONTENT="no-cache">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Cache-Directive" CONTENT="no-cache">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="0">

That got me half way there........now I dont have to reset the browser anymore but I still have to hit refresh to see the changes. The problem is, I tried an older browser and it still loaded the old page fresh on open and then I had to hit refresh again to see the new page. This isn't fully what I want right? I mean what old lady is going to know that she needs to hit refresh a second time after going to the page so she can see a new event thats been added? Can someone help me out with this? I need to be able to just close the browser and reopen it and see a change and I need visitors of the site to be able to do the same.

Check out Host server caching. Ask them to not cache certain dynamic WEBsite pages.

Can you be a little more specific on this?

Your Host server may not always fetch a page from the website directory, it keeps a copy around in the Host cache, and saves compute bound time especially in cases of consequetive demands for the resource. The controls for this is held by a Hosting Administrator, and the main parameter is how long to hold the page in cache.

If you ask the Admin to remove your site from the cache list, you may run the risk of occasionally running up cpu bills.

To see this effect, use the Diagnose button (top right corner) on the front page at http://www.wyc3.com. Your gateway connection test is on that page.There are 3 test sizes at the bottom of the page.

You will notice the times accumulate bcause a stale page, (each has a time stamp on it) is being sent by the server. I had to request no page caching from my last host, and the times lined up correctly. I made a request to my current host but they have not done it as yet.

Thread Information