If I change border=1 to border=0, suddenly my table goes all out of wack. The banner at the top (H&R banner.jpg) all of a sudden shift about 20 pixels to the right becoming misaligned with everything else in the table.
This seems to work fine in FF and Chrome and is only an issue in IE.
Other things of note...
- You honestly shouldn't be using tables for a layout anyway.
- You need to make sure your page validates(http://validator.w3.org/) Your zero border example came up with 12 errors and 5 warnings.
- Your CSS should be linked externally. Content should be separated from presentation.
- Make sure to be consistent with double quoting values.
- Using iframes was a pet peeve of mine even 8-10 years ago. I can't imagine using them these days. Display "x" amount of content like news, and if you want people to look at more, simply give them a link to go look at more of the specified content.
The problem turned out the be the table size after all - without borders, the table is too small to contain the banner. I just wasn't expecting such a big shift (it shifts it to where ever it wants if it doesn't fit).