www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Has CF lost that much popularity?

Has CF lost that much popularity?

I know that CF popularity has been in decline since 2003, but has it gone so far out of style that no one is using it, anymore? Period?
    |||||
    o . Q
    ___ "You live and you learn; or you don't live long." - Lazarus Long

^_^

Probably someone, somewhere is still using it. But if google search trends is a good measure of popularity, then CF is barely a blip on the radar. In fact, even in 2003, it was still a huge underdog.

http://www.google.com/trends/?q=cold...+php,+asp,+jsp
    for(split(//,'))*))91:+9.*4:1A1+9,1))2*:..)))2*:31.-1)4131)1))2*:3)"'))
    {for(ord){$i+=$_&7;grep(vec($s,$i++,1)=1,1..($_>>3)-4);}}print"$s\n";

Currently, AT&T is still using it, and the US Gov't is in the process of converting their CF into .Net (Federal Reserve Bank and US Navy). I still see some CF pages from time to time; matter of fact, I just applied for a job with an organization that is still using it, so wish me luck. I still love CF, probably always will.
    |||||
    o . Q
    ___ "You live and you learn; or you don't live long." - Lazarus Long

^_^

One of the great features of CFML is that the language is so easy to learn. At times, it's almost like an extension of HTML. Plus, since it runs on Java, you have access to all of the power of Java.

Its built in integration to things like Exchange Server, LDAP, Java, ORM and SharePoint integration are some of ColdFusion's main appeals to the larger Enterprise market. I once heard an Adobe rep. jokingly say that it was easier to use CF to connect to Exhchange Server than it was with .Net.

My web and software company is still using ColdFusion and many others are too. I have been using it since version 4 in 1999. It may not be apparent that the websites are ColdFusion based by looking at the file extensions as many developers, including our own here, hide the .cfm file extension and replace them with search engine friendly filenames.

CF is still a good platform and is easy to use even for very large projects. Code is generally shorter but requires more server resources compares to other platforms. There is also the cost as ColdFusion Standard costs around 1000GBP. If your hosting provider already offer ColdFusion then this isn't a problem. We host all our own sites so we had to purchase all the software ourselves.

Some examples of our sites are here on our web design portfolio page. All the sites there are ColdFusion sites but all have the .cfm extension hidden. The data comes from MS SQL databases on all the sites.

I hope this has been some help to you.

Cheers

Steve Webb

Thanks for your sharing!It's very good!

One of the most important bottlenecks for CF popularity are licensing fees. Result? Only a few webhosts support ColdFusion, whereas most most of them support PHP, ASP, .NET or even Ruby on Rails .

Adobe posted some statistics last years stating that there were an estimated almost 800,000 ColdFusion developers worldwide.

Well, the number of Coldfusion developers still decreases. At present there are about 760.000 ColdFusion-based websites and this corresponds to about 0,8% market share. But CF is still more popular that Perl, Ruby or Python.

Thread Information