www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Would Joomla or Wordpress work for this type of site?

Would Joomla or Wordpress work for this type of site?

Hi

Great forums!

I am working on a social media type site, where users can create "buckets" of friends send them email messages. It's a very basic concept. Nothing new or special. I just want to figure out how all this works from a technical standpoint. I plan to include some rich functionality such as drag and drop. For instance, users can "drag" friends into a bucket, similar to a Google+ circles experience.

I have a LAMP developer building the MySQL, PHP, and JQuery.

My concern is how to manage all of this. A user needs to register, messages need to be stored and displayed on profile pages, auto emails need to be sent, etc.

Would Joomla or Wordpress work for this? Or should I stick with phpmyadmin?

Thanks for any insight you may have.

Quote Originally Posted by jojoma View Post
    phpmyadmin is merely a database tool so it's completely different than what you are looking for. Wordpress is a blogging tool. I have not looked at the options for plugins to mimic things that social networking sites do. If they aren't there, then you have some rather hefty modifications to do. Joomla would be the closest, but you'll have to poke around and see what addons are there and how minimal of work would need to be done. Drupal would likely be a second option to look at.

I have a LAMP developer building the MySQL, PHP, and JQuery.
    by the looks of it you dont know what you are talking about... if you have a developer building the database, then why would you ever need to use any Content Management System? for these all have there own database structure already! and if your developer is doing MySQL, PHP. and jQuery... i'd have to say he seems to have the entire thing covered except the CSS for making a theme to the site. anyways seems to be a pointless question...

Thread Information