www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Javascript array from php array

Javascript array from php array

I've been using the following code to create a one dimensional javascript array from a php array, and it has been working great...

var js_array = new Array();
    js_array = [' . ($php_array ? '"' . implode('", "', $php_array) . '"' : '') . '], i;

how can I append the above code to work for a multidimensional array.

Thanks for any suggestions

i haven't worked with php in a while; provide an example of a sample multidimensional php array AFTER it's been added to a webpage. using that as a template, it can be formed into JS.

1. If you reply to my post, and your reply would then appear directly beneath my post, DON'T QUOTE MY ENTIRE POST!!! IT'S REDUNTANT!!! IT'S ASININE!!!! IT'S REDUNDANTLY ASININE!!!!! DON'T DO IT!!!!
    2. jQuery extends the functionality of JavaScript. If you don't know JavaScript, give up on that jQuery script and learn JavaScript. You'll save yourself a lot of frustration, I promise.
    3. Use the [code][/code] tags. Otherwise, you may be left wondering why no one responded to your eyesore of a thread.

this works perfect for a 1-D array...

<?php
    $php_array = array('a',0,1);
    echo '

function print_array()
    {
    js_array = [' . ($php_array ? '"' . implode('", "', $php_array) . '"' : '') . '], i;

for(var i = 0; i <= 2; i++)
    { alert(js_array[i]); }
    }

';
    ?>

so my questions is how to structure the implode statement for a 2-D array...

<?php
    $php_array = array(array('a',0,1),array('b',0,1));
    echo '

function print_array()
    {
    for(var i = 0; i <= 2; i++)
    { alert(js_array[i]); }
    }

';
    ?>

Use json functions from PHP.
    PHP Code:
    $array = array(
            array(
    123'a'),
            array(
    456'b')
        ); 
    Code:
    var js_array = <?php echo json_encode($array)?>;
    http://uk3.php.net/json_encode

This worls with n-dimesional arrays. If you set keys, the array will be transformed into an object.
    Last edited by hyperionXS; 03-04-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks Hyperion that worked great.

learned something knew. i didn't know that PHP knew how to return JSON.

i know at this point, it will be a dead issue to you mielke, but what i meant for you to do is to show me the OUTPUT of one of your multidimensional arrays, not the PHP code to create/access the array.

1. If you reply to my post, and your reply would then appear directly beneath my post, DON'T QUOTE MY ENTIRE POST!!! IT'S REDUNTANT!!! IT'S ASININE!!!! IT'S REDUNDANTLY ASININE!!!!! DON'T DO IT!!!!
    2. jQuery extends the functionality of JavaScript. If you don't know JavaScript, give up on that jQuery script and learn JavaScript. You'll save yourself a lot of frustration, I promise.
    3. Use the [code][/code] tags. Otherwise, you may be left wondering why no one responded to your eyesore of a thread.

This is the output of the above function
    Code:
    var js_array = [[1,2,3,"a"],[4,5,6,"b"]];

exactly what i would have been looking for in mielke's second post had i needed to proceed without the json_encode knowledge i just gained.

Thread Information