www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is best language to write ecommerce site ?

What is best language to write ecommerce site ?

What is the best language to write ecommerce site with 30,000 items sorted by department and category and/or brand? I have talked to 3 developers each with a different solution ? Help ????????

It depends slightly on what frequency of visits do you suppose, but as a matter of fact there are few thoughts:

1) The language you know better is the best choice. It may be PHP, Java or ASP with similar chances of success. It do not depend greatly on what kind of contents you want to have at your web-site, or what is its purpose.

2) Depending on what exactly you want (e-commerce... with... items... - this give no big difference) and what kind of server you want to use you may prefer different solutions (maybe half-ready) and different languages.

3) It is not question of language, to be honest. You usually use some frameworks or CMS-es based on one of existing languages. There are many of them, however.

Depends largely on who has to maintain the site going forward and what their preferences are. The big contenders, in my opinion, are c#/.net + SQL Server and PHP + MySQL.

C# is a strongly typed, compiled language, which I find to be pretty tedious for general web development. Though, it make SOAP service (both client and server side) development very easy. But, for simple tasks, I find that there's a lot of unnecessary overhead, but at the advantage of very rapid development. You get a lot of structures for free, which means your developer can suck and you'll still likely get a decently functioning application. But, this often causes even smart developers to default to those structures in place of more optimized, custom solutions.

Since it's compiled, the code itself is theoretically very speedy, which may make up for some of the overhead and cookie-cutter performance hits. You can't reliably produce a generalized .NET v PHP benchmark: the whole application lifecycle, request pipeline, and runtime environment are different ... different things come for "free" in each.

PHP is a loosely typed, interpreted language, but the "compiled opcodes" can be cached very easily for near-compiled-language performance. You don't get as many "full" cookie-cutter solutions with PHP, so a lot of the application-design thinking is forced onto the developer, which is a very good thing if you have a good developer writing a complex or performance critical applications. It's a pretty terrible thing if your developer isn't good.

But, you do get a very large, ever-expanding library of very webdev-useful functions. PHP provides functions and environment that spare the developer from thinking about things that simply don't need to be thought about, leaving the developer to think about things they should be thinking about, like how to structure their database, optimize their queries, and optimize their application-side code. But, if the application is simple and straightforward, you're often getting less for free. And there can sometimes be additional ambiguity in the code on account of the loose-typing.

And, as mentioned above, there's cost. PHP is cheap to develop and run. .NET is expensive to develop and run.
    Jon Wire

thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

Use CODE tags!

Thanks all for your responses. PHP and MySQl it is.

PHP is the best, the best ecommerce CMS are written in PHP.

According to me PHP is the best programming language to develop a ecommerce website

What is best language to write ecommerce site ?

For e-commerce PHP and ASP are the good choice for the webdeveloper but according to me PHP will be the best because ASP is very costly for web hosting.

Nothing beats PHP and MySQL. Build a good database.

As far as I know, most ecommerce CMS are written in php and use MySql for the database.

In my opinion PHP is best for e commerce website.

Hello,
    php is best for e-commerce because this type of language is easy and reduce your side code..
    i'm also try in my many website like TegTechno and TegVentures and I'm also going to implement it in my new site MakemyclissicTrip.com

I prefer PHP because it's large scaled, easy to learn, very robust and works awesome with mySQL. You can practically develop any web application in PHP!
    Hey Tommy Hosting! 100% Interactive, reliable, Canadian Webhosting.
    Join the beta and get the first month hosting free!
    Be a dear, my referral ID: 749

eCommerce Website

Language does'nt matter while designing the site. what matter's is the theme and template and how creatively you have designed that site.

PHP is widely used for designing eCommerce websites the prime reason is it is light boost traffic and conversions. Other silent features for using this language are:
    Open Source
    User friendly
    Cost effective: Supports are easily available and mostly are free
    Less time consuming: Too many inbuilt functionality, just guys integrate it with website
    High quality procedures and process: The effective procedures and process gives highest quality of experience to users and Admin.
    Best coding practice and suffices all developmental needs

This language also offers free common services like-

Auction
    Custom Applications
    Business applications
    Online Storage
    Social network

PHP and the Community

Everybody is forgetting the best part about PHP. PHP has a large development community, that continually grows as most web servers run appache (server that runs PHP). The growing community means that support is easy to find when you run into questions and problems.
    Ryan Condron
    Freelance Web Developer
    http://www.rebelwebdevelopment.com

Thread Information