dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to make your website editable

Hybrid View

How to make your website editable

Hi,
    I'm working on a web site with a lot of text, the this is the text is not final and the person who is giving it to me want me to put the text on the pages and she will change/correct them.

My question is here, She told me last year the guy who did her web site manage a way for her, to correct the text from explorer. I'm not sure was it done in javascript .. if yes how and how I put this code on my pages

Thanks in advance

there are a lot of free content management systems out there. look into wordpress, drupal, joomla!... they all provide UI interfaces so your client can edit the site

I'm using Dreamweaver on a mac, Is there a way of just putting a temporary code so the my client can edit the web from her explorer (or Firefox) ?

thanks, in advance

You need some mechanism on server side which allows user to upload new versions of pages from browser (when he press "Save" button). Dreamweaver is just an editor and have nothing to do with the process.

You need to use either ready Content-Management System (CMS) as told earlier, or write yourself script for server side (in PHP for example). It would not be quite easy task if you want to create something useful.

yup man. i have developed a very similar and simple solution, you can check it out here.
    http://gugloo.net/test/document.php

its simply done by setting "contenteditable" attribute of a span element. when your focus any element other than span it sends the text to a PHP file using AJAX and is saved in a txt file.
    Last edited by ZABI; 03-05-2012 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Link

i like zabi's solution, but you probably dont want everyone who visits the site to have permissions to change the content. you want to require user verification with a login form. go to the server-side section of this forum and post your questions there.

Quote Originally Posted by kenrobgood View Post
    i like zabi's solution, but you probably dont want everyone who visits the site to have permissions to change the content. you want to require user verification with a login form. go to the server-side section of this forum and post your questions there.
    yea user authentication is required. it is just a demo.

if you use dreamweaver, look into adobe contribute.
    it's a CMS for dreamweaver that allow wysiwyg editing of dreamweaver sites.

they are made for each other.

Get Simlpe to Manage page's content

If You need to have editable website I suggest to use GET SIMPLE.

It is very nice tool to make small websites equipped with CMS.

I made website for myself using GET-SIMPLE with:
    - contact form,
    - map,
    - few pages,
    - few sub-pages,
    - galleries

it was quite easy even for such a beginner like me.
    You can take a look at my example of GS functionality.

website for small business

I like Zabi solution but is they a way to change the text and save it directly ?

All my pages will be hidden on the web site, once corrected I'll put them visible for everybody.

You can use the same method for your own purpose. for example you can store text in external files and when you are done with editing content you can save complete pages in HTML or some other files.

Hi there,

Well nowadays you can easily find everything to edit your web-pages, create and manage your website all on your own without the need of programming or designing experience. There are plenty of tutorials available on the internet that can help you in the right direction. Recently when I was searching on the internet I came across a good website i.e. Simplewebsitetutorials.com where they have professional tutorials for creating a website, editing a website, editing a themes, creating mobile website and many more as well. I think it will sort your problem too.

Thread Information