dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Why are websites so terrible at mobile/desktop redirection?

Why are websites so terrible at mobile/desktop redirection?

I've never once seen a desktop website incorrectly redirect to the mobile version, but I'm seeing more and more websites not redirect to the desktop version from a "mobile-formatted" URL (which may have m. or /m in it).

Sites like Amazon and Barnes & Noble and theregister.co.uk look fine on mobile then if you try to share the link through your phone, they look terrible on desktop without a quick easy-to-find link to switch; I usually have to edit the URL or tell someone how to do it because they complain it's hard to read.

What is going on? I've done website development for 10 years and have never had a problem redirecting users to desktop (at least I've never had any complaints and it worked fine on our computers). Why are websites using the URL to determine mobile rather than the User Agent or the browser or the OS? I feel like I'm dealing with a bunch of amateurs.

I suspect that you've answered your own question? My question is: why are people still developing mobile-specific sites anyway???

Quote Originally Posted by jedaisoul View Post
    I suspect that you've answered your own question? My question is: why are people still developing mobile-specific sites anyway???
    So nobody can give any insight onto why major websites are not redirecting mobile to desktop properly? They're all being run by amateurs? Is that the snarky completely useless answer? I don't think these major websites are paying people to be amateurs.

Has no-one heard anything about why developers (or their managers) are not coding website redirection properly? Has the philosophy changed? Do people not do research? Do they not care about this issue? Are you as a developer told only to do desktop-to-mobile redirection? Are you told to not to do mobile-to-desktop redirection?

Can someone please explain why developers are using this m. mobile. /m /mobile way of showing mobile sites? Not ONCE was I ever told to or did build a website that redirected to mobile using a hard-coded URL, we handled it using the User Agent, and we always put a link to desktop on the page. I feel like I just got a reply from an amateur.

Thread Information