dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Just want to double check DNS and to get an advice

Just want to double check DNS and to get an advice

Hello!

First of all, let me tell you what I have.
    I have a residential broadband ADSL connection with a static IP. Download is 15 Mb/s and upload around 800Kb/s.
    My home future server is just a laptop. 1,6 GHz, 2 GB DDR2 RAM, XP Pro SP3. Generally speaking, I use Joomla to build sites. I plan to have a web site hosted at home and also have a SMTP server to manage e-mail.

I have a domain name and I want to make sure that I did everything right with DNS configuration.
    The web site that manages DNS has the following fields:

1) In A record there's a SUBDOMAIN box where I just put @ sign (it means root, right?), then there's a default TTL 7200, and IP ADDRESS when I put my static IP.

2) The next line is CNAME record and in SUBDOMAIN box I put www and then 7200 TTL and then the HOST NAME where I just typed mydomain.com

3) The next line is A record for a mail server. In SUBDOMAIN box I have smtp, then TTL 7200 and finally IP ADDRESS.

4) And the last line is MX record. In SUBDOMAIN I have smtp, then TTL 7200 and then PREFERENCE 1 and the last thing is HOST where I have my domain.com
    Are those parameters correct?

I plan to use Ubuntu Linux NON Server OS with Apache on it (probably LAMP) and for SMTP Server I'm not sure...I found Citadel. I used to have hMail couple of years ago and I really liked it, but it works on Windows only.
    Frankly, I don't like Linux, but I think that in my situation its the best bet. One thing is not clear to me though...Why would someone use a command line Server Ubuntu Linux when there's a GUI version of Ubuntu that runs Apache as well?

Quote Originally Posted by abrodski View Post
    One thing is not clear to me though...Why would someone use a command line Server Ubuntu Linux when there's a GUI version of Ubuntu that runs Apache as well?
    Someone would use command line linux because it uses less resources, so works better. Especially as web server.

To check your DNS use the folowing resources
    http://www.intodns.com/
    and
    http://www.dnssy.com/

Thread Information