www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: PHP/MySQL - Query Error?

Exclamation PHP/MySQL - Query Error?

Ok, so I basically have this:
    PHP Code:
    $query "UPDATE plat SET [name='".$comnm."', city='".$comct."', state='".$comst."', zip='".$comzp."', builder='".$combd."', traffic='".$comtr."', desc='".$comdc."', logo='".$comlg."', hoverlogo='".$comhl."', map='".$commp."', hot_1='".$comh1."', hot_2='".$comh2."', hot_3='".$comh3."', hot_4='".$comh4."', hot_5='".$comh5."', hours_Su='".$comSu."', hours_Mo='".$comMo."', hours_Tu='".$comTu."', hours_We='".$comWe."', hours_Th='".$comTh."', hours_Fr='".$comFr."', hours_Sa='".$comSa."', school_d='".$comsd."', school_e='".$comse."', school_m='".$comsm."', school_h='".$comsh."', utility_sewer='".$comus."', utility_water='".$comuw."', utility_gas='".$comug."', utility_electric='".$comue."', utility_garbage='".$comut."', utility_phone='".$comup."', utility_phone='".$comup."', utility_cable='".$comuc."', mapx='".$commx."', mapy='".$commy."', color_main='".$comcm."', color_comp='".$comcc."', color_accent='".$comca."', status='".$comss."'] WHERE id='".$comid."'" 
    and it seems like a lot, but when the variables are actually filled in it's more like this:

Code:
    UPDATE plat SET [name='Jacqueline Ridge', city='Marysville', state='WA', zip='98270', builder=' ', traffic=' ', desc='Reliant Homes lends their craftsmanship and quality to this private set of cul–de–sacs bordered by greenbelt. Each of the homes in Jacqueline Ridge are beautiful yet affordable and flexible to your lifestyle.', logo='', hoverlogo='', map='', hot_1='', hot_2='', hot_3='', hot_4='', hot_5='', hours_Su='  ', hours_Mo='  ', hours_Tu='  ', hours_We='  ', hours_Th='  ', hours_Fr='  ', hours_Sa='11001700', school_d=' ', school_e=' ', school_m=' ', school_h=' ', utility_sewer=' ', utility_water=' ', utility_gas=' ', utility_electric=' ', utility_garbage=' ', utility_phone=' ', utility_phone=' ', utility_cable=' ', mapx='', mapy='', color_main='', color_comp='', color_accent='', status=''] WHERE id='3'
    I'm not sure why some of the fields are coming up with spaces in them (I tried using str_ireplace to get rid of them but that doesn't work either...

Anyway, my actual issue is that it's saying there is a syntax error and I can't spot it, because I'm not that great with this MySQL stuff.

Any help would be greatly appreciated; thanks!

Also, there was an error before I added the square-brackets around them, so that's not my problem either.

What I'm doing is trying to create a new database-system (complete with custom CMS) for a Real Estate marketing company. It's not going as well as I'd hoped.

try
    PHP Code:
    $query "UPDATE plat SET name='$comnm', city='$comct', state='$comst', zip='$comzp', builder='$combd', traffic='$comtr', desc='$comdc', logo='$comlg', hoverlogo='$comhl', map='$commp', hot_1='$comh1', hot_2='$comh2', hot_3='$comh3', hot_4='$comh4', hot_5='$comh5', hours_Su='$comSu', hours_Mo='$comMo', hours_Tu='$comTu', hours_We='$comWe', hours_Th='$comTh', hours_Fr='$comFr', hours_Sa='$comSa', school_d='$comsd', school_e='$comse', school_m='$comsm', school_h='$comsh', utility_sewer='$comus', utility_water='$comuw', utility_gas='$comug', utility_electric='$comue', utility_garbage='$comut', utility_phone='$comup', utility_phone='$comup', utility_cable='$comuc', mapx='$commx', mapy='$commy', color_main='$comcm', color_comp='$comcc', color_accent='$comca', status='$comss' WHERE id='$comid'" 

I tried this:

PHP Code:
    $query "UPDATE plat SET name='$comnm', city='$comct', state='$comst', zip='$comzp', builder='$combd', traffic='$comtr', desc='$comdc', logo='$comlg', hoverlogo='$comhl', map='$commp', hot_1='$comh1', hot_2='$comh2', hot_3='$comh3', hot_4='$comh4', hot_5='$comh5', hours_Su='$comSu', hours_Mo='$comMo', hours_Tu='$comTu', hours_We='$comWe', hours_Th='$comTh', hours_Fr='$comFr', hours_Sa='$comSa', school_d='$comsd', school_e='$comse', school_m='$comsm', school_h='$comsh', utility_sewer='$comus', utility_water='$comuw', utility_gas='$comug', utility_electric='$comue', utility_garbage='$comut', utility_phone='$comup', utility_phone='$comup', utility_cable='$comuc', mapx='$commx', mapy='$commy', color_main='$comcm', color_comp='$comcc', color_accent='$comca', status='$comss' WHERE id='$comid'"
    But it still gives me this error message:

Code:
    Query failed -- starting diagnostic output.

errno = `1064'

msg = `You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'desc='Reliant Homes lends their craftsmanship and quality to this private set of' at line 1'

Unable to execute query.
    Failed in db_connect.php on ExecuteQuery() call. Query is:
    UPDATE plat SET name='Jacqueline Ridge', city='Marysville', state='WA', zip='98270', builder=' ', traffic=' ', desc='Reliant Homes lends their craftsmanship and quality to this private set of cul–de–sacs bordered by greenbelt. Each of the homes in Jacqueline Ridge are beautiful yet affordable and flexible to your lifestyle.', logo='', hoverlogo='', map='', hot_1='', hot_2='', hot_3='', hot_4='', hot_5='', hours_Su='  ', hours_Mo='  ', hours_Tu='  ', hours_We='  ', hours_Th='  ', hours_Fr='  ', hours_Sa='11001700', school_d=' ', school_e=' ', school_m=' ', school_h=' ', utility_sewer=' ', utility_water=' ', utility_gas=' ', utility_electric=' ', utility_garbage=' ', utility_phone=' ', utility_phone=' ', utility_cable=' ', mapx='', mapy='', color_main='', color_comp='', color_accent='', status='' WHERE id='3'

desc is a keyword

Hi,

I do not think you can use "desc" as a field because it is a reserved word. Try to execute the query without updating this field and see if it works.

Yes!!! I changed the field to descr and it works!!

Thank you SO much!!!

Thread Information