dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: I Need Urgent Assistance

I Need Urgent Assistance

This is an urgent question; I have a meeting with client tomorrow (March 13).

We are in the beginning stages of (finally) completely redesigning a website I created and have hosted and maintained for more than a decade.

The website is for a small, independent, boutique-type store selling a specific product. The website has always been only about the store, its owners (who are also well-known it the community), events they host, the products they sell, and special services they offer.

We've never had any ads on the website for other groups/businesses.

The client just notified me that she wants to add an advertisement at the top of her website for some organization, in exchange for the client getting a free membership in that organization. UPDATE: I've just learned membership into this organization is only $150! Who would sell one year's worth of advertisement space at the top of their website for only $150. I hate to say it, but while my client is a really good person, she is batty and has no idea what she's doing. Honestly, sometimes I don't know how she has enough sense to keep her business going - but she has.

First of all, we are redoing the website because it is far too crowded on the front. How on earth are we going to make room for another agency's ad?

Secondly, and the reason I am writing, do I charge her extra to put someone else's code in our site and on our front page?

I do my client's website and products, not that of another company. I don't work for that other organization.

Client is getting free membership, other company is getting ad space - what am I getting, and I am the one doing all the work?

As you can see, I am VERY MUCH against putting an ad on this website.

What do you think? I need advice immediately. I want your full and honest opinion. Am I wrong for wanting to keep the ad out? Should I charge extra, since putting in someone else's ad is not in the fee I have quoted?
    Last edited by Joan Jett; 03-12-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Really depends what your role is. Are you the marketing manager for the boutique, or are you the web developer?

Dave

I am the web developer, but I work a lot with her on marketing.

I created the site more than a decade ago, and I have hosted and maintained it since then.

However, this client is a small business, and I work closely with her on many aspects of marketing and PR, as well.

Ah, so you're actually responsible for marketing input. Then I suppose like any business partnership, you argue it out and see who wins out I have a business partner too, and when we don't agree on something, we usually compromise somewhere along the line if both of us feel strongly in opposite directions.

Dave

It doesn't matter who's code it is. If you are changing the website, you are going to get paid.

Thread Information