www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Help with Opening links in defined table

Help with Opening links in defined table

Hey Guys
    New to this HTML/php thing.
    Im trying to have links open in a defined table on the below layout(in the content area), but cant seem to do this. Can anyone give me an insite into this?, Thanks RA

<html>
    <body width="100%" height="100%">

<table width="100%" height="100%" border="0">
    <tr>
    <td colspan="2" height="10%" style="background-color:#FFA500;">
    <h1>header</h1>
    </td>
    </tr>

<tr valign="top" >
    <td style="background-color:#FFD700;width:100px;text-align:top;"height="80%">
    options
    </td>
    <td style="background-color:#eeeeee;height:200px;width:400px;text-align:top;">
    Content goes here</td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    <td colspan="2" height="10%"style="background-color:#FFA500;text-align:center;" >
    footer</td>
    </tr>
    </table>

</body>
    </html>

I can think of two ways to achieve this effect.

The first way is to use an <iframe> that includes a 'name' attribute so your links can specify it as a target in the <a>nchor tags. This is the easiest method, but it requires that the content to be displayed is a complete webpage.

The second way is with JavaScript. JavaScript will let you replace the content in a defined section of your page in various ways. You'd either have to learn JavaScript or find some example code that could be modified to meet your needs.

But if the point of all this is to keep the user on the same page for everything the website will contain, I'd strongly advise you against the idea if for no other reason than it becomes very difficult to manage. It also makes it difficult to impossible for the search engines to discover your content. So if that was your plan, you'd be much better off with a more conventional site structure. If you just want to have a page within your site that has changeable content, then this approach can work. Good luck!
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

You could do it via Ajax as well. I really question as to why you want this done. Way back in the day when I first started out I thought this would be a good idea, but generally I wouldn't do this unless there is a specific reason for doing so.

Also, you shouldn't use inline styles unless required. Also don't use tables for layout. Tables are meant for tabular data. I almost have a rework of it done, but bed calls.

Help with Opening links in defined table

You can try using frames. This can surely fix it. If you need code then let me know

Thanks and Regards
    NEVILLE

Quote Originally Posted by Rude Awakening View Post
    Hey Guys
    New to this HTML/php thing.
    Im trying to have links open in a defined table on the below layout(in the content area), but cant seem to do this. Can anyone give me an insite into this?, Thanks RA

<html>
    <body width="100%" height="100%">

<table width="100%" height="100%" border="0">
    <tr>
    <td colspan="2" height="10%" style="background-color:#FFA500;">
    <h1>header</h1>
    </td>
    </tr>

<tr valign="top" >
    <td style="background-color:#FFD700;width:100px;text-align:top;"height="80%">
    options
    </td>
    <td style="background-color:#eeeeee;height:200px;width:400px;text-align:top;">
    Content goes here</td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    <td colspan="2" height="10%"style="background-color:#FFA500;text-align:center;" >
    footer</td>
    </tr>
    </table>

</body>
    </html>

Thread Information