www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Feedback for The Liberty Portal website.

Feedback for The Liberty Portal website.

Hello. If anyone wants to leave feedback for this new website than please do so: http://www.thelibertyportal.com/#home

Thanks.

- Externally link the CSS and JavaScript.
    - It's just a pet peeve of mine of something not to do I guess, but I do hate iframes. If it's to counter having to reload the page, see point number one.
    - If somebody disables JavaScript, your menu literally doesn't work.
    - The code is <div> crazy. There is one part that has 6 nested <div> tags. It should be done with 2 <div> tags at most and using <ul> tags since a nav/menu is really just a an unordered list of links. You could make two lists and use CSS to float them to where they need to go.
    - Something like title_content and title_desc should be done using <h1> and <h2> tags.
    - Visually it's "ok."

Thanks for your feedback, I will implement some suggestions. However...

Why do you not like iframes. Using the iframes means that the whole page doesn't have to load. While there are ways to optimise the loading of pages it is still much smoother with the iframes.

Also the website relies on javascript for many of it's functions so I think it's worthless making it work without javascript, I'd have to pretty much rework the entire thing.

I guess using header tags and ordered lists as you said is better for SEO? I know header tags are so I will definitely change that.

It works for me. I agree with the visually it's "ok" bit, it doesn't wow you but the information is coherent. Keep at it and good luck!
    Hey Tommy Hosting! 100% Interactive, reliable, Canadian Webhosting.
    Join the beta and get the first month hosting free!
    Be a dear, my referral ID: 749

Quote Originally Posted by god0fgod View Post
    Thanks for your feedback, I will implement some suggestions. However...

Why do you not like iframes. Using the iframes means that the whole page doesn't have to load. While there are ways to optimise the loading of pages it is still much smoother with the iframes.

Also the website relies on javascript for many of it's functions so I think it's worthless making it work without javascript, I'd have to pretty much rework the entire thing.

I guess using header tags and ordered lists as you said is better for SEO? I know header tags are so I will definitely change that.
    It's more work for the user to possibly deal with two scroll bars. It just adds something visually to the site that really doesn't need to be there. Your site is far from being heavy enough to where you need to use iframes to avoid long load times. Again, externally linking stuff will help out a lot and thus make the benefit of using iframes nil.

I understand some aspects not working if JavaScript is turned off, but your navigation shouldn't be one of them. I won't be that hard to add in links where need be.

Thanks everyone. All the features on the website use javascript, so what's the use of navigation? I could modify it so that the website looks different when not using javascript so it focuses on promoting the mobile apps and also notifies the user that they can use the website properly if they use javascript.

I could remove the iframes, though if the content stretched down the body of the page I thought it might make the navigation less intuitive for the articles and videos section.

I've tested a non-frame approach. It's definitely not as smooth but is it better? http://www.thelibertyportal.com/test/ Only the home and about pages so far.

It might a bit too black. Also, the navigation needs some work. It's okay overall, though.

Thread Information