www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How do i allow a user select from a list of players to play a video

Thumbs up How do i allow a user select from a list of players to play a video

I am currently working on a website and would want users to select a player e.g[flash, windows media player etc]..to play a video....I am creating a video gallery so when you click on a player it shows on the page then u can now select the video you want to watch.

While it's possible to allows website visitors to select the video player they want... I really don't know why you would want to do so. Most viewers would not know the difference between players nor would they know whether or not their particular machine has the correct pluggin to display a particular video player. If you are not familiar with how video player browser pluggins work... they won't be either.
    And on your part, it would be much more complex to place multiple players on a page... each with playlist... all of which would have different skins and different display sizes to include the playlist.
    I take it that you have not done much Web video. For practice you should first place each of these video players on a single page... and use players with playlists so the viewer can choose between multiple videos. Then after you have sucessfully created at least 3 different Web players....say Flash, Windows Media Player, and QuickTime player... and be sure to use players with playlists (and realize how easy/hard that is to find), re-visit your multiple player idea. There are many ways it could be accomplished.
    For example... put a different video player on each of the sliding tabs ... as you see here:
    http://www.exploreolympics.com/index.html
    while these are each just a single player with no playlist... it's an example of how it could be done.
    Coda slider:
    http://www.ndoherty.biz/demos/coda-slider/2.0/
    Best of luck,
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

Thank you very much. yeah am new to the video thing....i fink i would just tab it....by putting each player on each tab...
    i saw something like what i asked earlier on this website....
    https://www.domi.org

on their media page.
    But thanks for the post

broken link? I can't get it to work.
    EfV

sorry abt dat
    www.domi.org.ng

Well that is quite the video player setup!.... but it may not be as clear cut as it first seems. Did you click on all the buttons to see what happens?
    There are really only two choices that match what you are attempting to do..
    Windows Media and Flash Media achives...
    want users to select a player e.g[flash, windows media player etc]..to play a video....I am creating a video gallery so when you click on a player it shows on the page then u can now select the video you want to watch.
    The other selections are for Live Streaming video... and I assume the reason for all those choices is NOT to give the viewer a bunch of good choices for viewing the Live Stream, but rather to try find one type of file that will work on their machine.... so if this doesn't work..try this one or that one.
    That is certainly one way to try cover all bases.
    Anyway, it certainly is possible to provide multiple video file types. But again I warn you that it can be confusing for the viewer and implementation will greatly multiply your development time. I really wonder why you would want to provide 3 file types when 1 would do? Do you have the video editing software to provide multiple file types?
    Speaking of file types, Windows Media (wmv) really only play in Windows machine (just a small portion of all video devices)... not Mac or iProducts... Flash plays in nearly all Windows and Macs .... coving a much larger segment of audiance, but not iProducts.
    So you really need to add a third type targeting mobile iProducts if enhancing viewer experience is your goal.... using a QuickTime mp4 or m4v....
    or just use 1 single mp4 file and a good video player, (like JWPlayer or Flow player... as used on the link you sent) and cover all bases with just one video file.
    Here is an example of a video file using JWPlayer which plays on PCs, Macs, and iProducts:
    http://exploreolympics.com/reports/?p=5522
    Anyway, best of luck!
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

Smile

really appreciate your time .....yeah i will go with the flowplayer...thanks alot..

Thread Information