www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Problem in IE 6

Cool Problem in IE 6

I am new in html and css however trying to make one psd into valid html and css and so far done upto this point. Please view

http://www.flashybee.com/flashybeeportfolio/portfolio/

I also validate the code in w3.org but the problem is the site is looked horrible in IE 6. Can anyone tell me how can I fixed this one.

I can give all the files in need.

Please give me an opportunity to learn this one.

Thanks.

trnghosh

Why are you testing on IE6???? IE6 was a dog, and not even Microsoft support it any more. The vast majority of users are on IE8 and IE9. IE6 is best forgotten, unless you have some overriding reason to care about it?

Actually I am not interested in testing it in IE 6 the reason I am trying to fix this one because many user still use IE 6 ( those who are not in the field just mere internet user and if they visited the site they will see a broken site) and for that reason I like to know how to solve this one.

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by trnghosh View Post
    Actually I am not interested in testing it in IE 6 the reason I am trying to fix this one because many user still use IE 6 ( those who are not in the field just mere internet user and if they visited the site they will see a broken site) and for that reason I like to know how to solve this one.
    Where do you get your facts from? According to w3counter ( http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php) globally IE had 30.7% of the market worldwide in Feb 2012, of which 29.5% was accounted for by IE7 and above (IE7: 5.65%, IE8: 14.71%, IE9: 9.13%).

Which, by my calculation, leaves IE6 (and earlier) with 1.2% of the world usage (and falling). Even Microsoft no longer test against IE6! So if you get complaints from users on IE6 that your site is broken, the answer is no it isn't. The browser is not fit for purpose.

Unless a client specifically asks for a site to be developed in IE6, I wouldn't bother with it. A client would have to have a rather good excuse why they would be wanting to develop a site built for IE6 these days considering the target audience who uses IE6.

Quote Originally Posted by jedaisoul View Post
    Where do you get your facts from? According to w3counter ( http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php) globally IE had 30.7% of the market worldwide in Feb 2012, of which 29.5% was accounted for by IE7 and above (IE7: 5.65%, IE8: 14.71%, IE9: 9.13%).

Which, by my calculation, leaves IE6 (and earlier) with 1.2% of the world usage (and falling). Even Microsoft no longer test against IE6! So if you get complaints from users on IE6 that your site is broken, the answer is no it isn't. The browser is not fit for purpose.
    May be you are right but I only want to know why IE 6 treated the code like this and is there any specific way to solve this, this is the intention.

I don't have access to IE6, but you'll likely need to see where IE6 gets something wrong and then Google CSS IE6 hacks and see if you stumble upon something that would fix it.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by trnghosh;1198922
    May be you are right but I only want to know why IE 6 treated the code like this and is there any specific way to solve this, this is the intention.
    Ok, to answer your questions:

a) Why IE6 treated the code like this? - Because it is a turd.

b) Solution? - JavaScript has built-in functions that allow you to identify the browser. You then need to write two versions of your web site: one for IE6 and another for compliant browsers.

So if you still want to write a site for IE6, I suggest that you read the JavaScript documentation on browser identification and take it from there!

Quote Originally Posted by jedaisoul View Post
    Ok, to answer your questions:

a) Why IE6 treated the code like this? - Because it is a turd.

b) Solution? - JavaScript has built-in functions that allow you to identify the browser. You then need to write two versions of your web site: one for IE6 and another for compliant browsers.

So if you still want to write a site for IE6, I suggest that you read the JavaScript documentation on browser identification and take it from there!
    You can also use CSS for backwards compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by spufi View Post

Where can I get this javascript browser compatibility?

Quote Originally Posted by spufi View Post
    Need some help as I am new in html and css. Attached are one index page, one css file, one problem image and one design image. I write the problem in the problem image. Could not successful in writing the bottom area properly as in dreamweaver it shows in a ugly fashion, Something is wrong. Also please download all the images used here ( the size of the folder is very big.) from here to look into the site properly. Need help.

www.flashybee.com/images.zip.

Download link for the images.

One more think I got help from "coothead" but in dreamweaver the bottom portion of the site is not looking good and may be something is wrong and I could not contact "coothead" anymore ( as the site from where I got this immense help is not loaded now). My thanks to "coothead" for helping me but now I am here with this issue.

Thanks.

need help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by trnghosh; 03-22-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trnghosh View Post
    Where can I get this javascript browser compatibility?
    You do not seem to understand. Few coders will have access to IE6 any more. So we cannot give you specific help with your IE6 problem, because we cannot reproduce it. The best I can do is point you to the javascript "navigator" object. The details you are interested in are:

navigator.appName
    navigator.appVersion

This is documented here: http://www.w3schools.com/js/js_browser.asp

As an alternative, the php object $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] will give you the name and version of the browser in a text string, as in:

<?php
    $browsername = $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'];
    ?>

This is documented here: http://www.w3schools.com/php/func_misc_get_browser.asp.

I sincerely hope that this helps, but basically you are on your own with finding a work-around for IE6. That is, unless someone here still codes for IE6?

Thanks for the help. However being a newbie I do not have this ability to go through with all the stuff here, but I got some idea about this and I give my heartiest regards to you for your help.

Thanks.

Thread Information