www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Can i program my experiment?

Can i program my experiment?

Hi,

I'm third year psychology student and i need to make an experiment to get my thesis. I came up with an idea, but the survey program (Qualtrics) we use cant do what i want unless i use javascript.

So I tried to learn javascript, but after 2 days of tutorials.. i dont think i will ever be able to script my experiment. Mainly because javascript focusses on websites and not the things i need.

I have made an pdf file with all the details but i will list them here in a summary:
    Is it possible with javascript to
    -create 2 conditions which each will load 50% of the time?
    -assign code to an image and act when u click on that image?
    -add the correct amount of money won and display it all the way through?
    -remember if one clicked an image and act upon that

So if this works i would ask if there is a place where i can find someone to hire to script this for me, since its too hard for me.

I think more detail is required to determine whether JavaScript can do what you want. In particular, you seem to be referring to the use of JavaScript outside a normal browser setting. JavaScript is a "fully" functional programming language -- but the environment and/or compiler or parser must provide necessary mechanisms as well.

I think we have an Available Positions forum here -- you could post your PDF there asking for Proposals. Or you could try elance.com.
    Jon Wire

thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

Use CODE tags!

ok thanks,

i think its a pretty simple project

how much will it cost? i dont think it will cost an advanced coder more than 5 hours

Oh, I have no idea. Your guess is better than mine, since you have a fuller understanding of what needs to be done. In terms of pricing, I see proposals with hourly rates ranging from $75/hour to $200/hour. A student would probably do it for around $15/hour under the table.
    Jon Wire

thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

Use CODE tags!

heres the pdf http://www.filedropper.com/experiment

do you think its possible to code this?

yes, it's a very simple program and shouldn't take someone who knows what they're doing more than 15 minutes tops (provided you don't care about what the user interface looks like).

javascript is fine to use, but you should be aware that it is easy to "cheat" on javascript quizzes because all you have to do is view the source code to see what the answers are... unless you want to obfuscate the code in some way or you will be giving the quiz in a controlled environment where you can make sure that no cheating occurs.

I wouldn't mind doing it just for kicks, but I am busy now - if somebody else hasn't stepped up once I get free and you'd still like to go the javascript route I'll give it a whirl.

Thread Information