www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Count Query Help

Question Count Query Help

Hello I'm fairly new to SQL so i have a mySQL database set up and ive figured out how to most of the things that im trying to do, but im really struggling with this one problem. I am creating a league website using PHP and mySQL, ive got most of it pretty much done, but i want to be able to show some basic statistics about each league. I want to be able to show how many games each player in a particular event has played in the past 7 days, so basically I have 2 tables:

Entrants table

eventID playerName
    1 ------RMK147
    1 ------test123
    1 ------anothertest
    2 ------testingagain
    2 ------finaltest

Results table

resultID eventID playerA --- playerAScore playerB playerBScore ------date
    ---1--- -- 1 -- RMK147 --------2 ------ test123 ---0--------2012-02-27 00:00:12
    ---2--- -- 1 -- anothertest --- 2 ------ RMK147----1--------2012-02-27 00:00:12

so im aiming for an output like this for event 1:

playerName ---weeklyGames
    RMK147----------- 2
    test123------------1
    anothertest --------1

and like this for event 2:

playerName----weeklyGames
    testingagain --------0
    finaltest ------------0

i was trying to use a count to count the occurences of each name in playerA and playerB and join along with results.date >= DATE_SUB(CURDATE(), INTERVAL 7 DAY) to determine results in the last week, but couldnt get near the output im after. I'd be greatful if anyone could help me out, thanks
    Last edited by RMK147; 03-24-2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spacing

Join is best used to collect relational data. Start with the events from a DATE period, using eventID.

i got it working but using a sub query, if any1 could convert it to using joins that would be even better

SELECT playerName, (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM results WHERE (playerName = playerA OR playerName = playerB) AND date >= DATE_SUB(CURDATE(), INTERVAL 7 DAY)) AS weeklyGames FROM entrants WHERE eventID = '1'

Thread Information