www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Why doesn't my javascript calculator work?

Why doesn't my javascript calculator work?

It can be found right here: http://arkdesigns.ca/AttilaKomaromiJavaCalculator.htm

I have javascript enabled on my browsers but it still doesn't work. I see the calculator but pushing the buttons does nothing Any help is appreciated

My code is:
    HTML Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head>
        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
        <title>Javascript Calculator</title>
        <style>
            <!-- CSS STYLES GO HERE -->
                .container {
    			width:500px;
    			height:500px;
    		}
    		.equ {
    			width:99%;
    			height:20px;
    			font-size:20px;	
    			text-align:right;
    			margin-bottom:15px;
    		}
    		table {
    			border:1px solid black;
    			padding:5px;
    			width:100%;
    		}
    		table td {
    			margin:3px;
    			text-align:center;
    			width:20%;	
    		}
    		.buttons {
    			width:100%;
    			height:50px;
    			font-size:15px;	
    		}
    	</style>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="javascript.js">
    	</script>
    </head>
    <body>
    	<div class="container">
        	<table cellspacing="0">
            	<tr>
                	<td colspan="5"><input class="equ" type="input" disabled="disabled" id="equation" value="0"/><input type="hidden" id="previousType" value="-1"/></td>
                </tr>
                <tr>
                	<td><input class="buttons" type="button" name="sin" value="sin" onclick="solve ('sin')" /></td>
                    <td><input class="buttons" type="button" name="cos" value="cos" onclick="solve ('cos')" /></td>
                    <td><input class="buttons" type="button" name="tan" value="tan" onclick="solve('tan')" /></td>
                    <td><input class="buttons" type="button" name="sqrt" value="&radic;" onclick="solve('sqrt')" /></td>
                </tr>
                <tr>
                	<td><input class="buttons" type="button" name="back" value="&larr;" onclick="remove ();"/></td>
                    <td colspan="2"><input class="buttons" type="button" name="erase" value="C" onclick="clear_equation ();" /></td>
                    <td><input class="buttons" type="button" name="divide" value="/" onclick="equation (this.value, 1)"/></td>
                </tr>
                <tr>
                	<td><input class="buttons" type="button" name="seven" value="7" onclick="equation (this.value, 2)"/></td>
                    <td><input class="buttons" type="button" name="eight" value="8" onclick="equation (this.value, 2)"/></td>
                    <td><input class="buttons" type="button" name="nine" value="9" onclick="equation (this.value, 2)"/></td>
                    <td><input class="buttons" type="button" name="multiple" value="*" onclick="equation (this.value, 1)"/></td>
                </tr>
                <tr>
                	<td><input class="buttons" type="button" name="four" value="4" onclick="equation (this.value, 2)"/></td>
                    <td><input class="buttons" type="button" name="five" value="5" onclick="equation (this.value, 2)"/></td>
                    <td><input class="buttons" type="button" name="six" value="6" onclick="equation (this.value, 2)"/></td>
                    <td><input class="buttons" type="button" name="subtract" value="-" onclick="equation (this.value, 1)"/></td>
                </tr>
                <tr>
               	<td><input class="buttons" type="button" name="one" value="1" onclick="equation (this.value, 2)"/></td>
                    <td><input class="buttons" type="button" name="two" value="2" onclick="equation (this.value, 2)"/></td>
                    <td><input class="buttons" type="button" name="three" value="3" onclick="equation (this.value, 2)"/></td>
                    <td><input class="buttons" type="button" name="plus" value="+" onclick="equation (this.value, 1)"/></td>
                </tr>
                <tr>
                	<td colspan="2"><input class="buttons" type="button" name="zero" value="0" onclick="equation (this.value, 2)"/></td>
                    <td><input class="buttons" type="button" name="decimal" value="." onclick="equation (this.value, 3)"/></td>
                    <td><input class="buttons" type="button" name="equal" value="=" onclick="solve ('');"/></td>
                </tr>
            </table>
        </div>
    </body>
    </html>

Where is your .js file? Thats most likely where the error is coming from

I hope you are not trying to plagiarize. You should make an attempt to learn yourself or nobody will want to help you. There is JavaScript (not "Java") that is supposed to be running the code behind the calculator but you are lacking any JavaScript at all in the what you posted. You posted HTML with a bit of CSS. Granted it is probably not very hard to make the required code, somebody else made it and they should be credited somehow for it. If you can't even figure out how to get to the source of the underlying code that runs it then nobody is going to want to help you. You aren't learning anything. Use Google. Learn.

Post Calculator!!!

Hey, let me take a wild guess, CIS 1000? lol

There are discussions on there of everything to get you up and running, the Prof. just posted a helpful functions list to insert into your <source></source>, this will make your numbers and basic functions work!

Goodluck!

P.S.
    Next time, don't resort to labelling the calculator as your "own" on a random website, as this can cause some uproar with...ehem.. others. I know where you got it from, but most don't, so next time I suggest sticking to the course website, the prof., and the TA's. I did mine last minute and everyone was still very forthcoming and helpful, so don't be shy to ask there.

Thread Information