dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Slideshow help and other help

Lightbulb Slideshow help and other help

Hello

First time here

I am making a website for my parents and I want to put a slideshow onto their webpage. I can get a slideshow on there. Its just whether or not I can update it when it is on the web. I.e. add new photos or take some away.

Another thing is that when i purchase a domain name can i take the website attached to it off, and put a different one on. Or when it is on there, no changes can be made?

Thanks for your help,
    Joe

Once you buy a domain name, it is yours. You can do anything you want - take things off, put things on... etc. I suggest going with a reputable web hosting service: fatcow.com, webhostingpad.com, hostgator.com, networksolutions.com, ipage.com are all very good ones. If you need cheaper, try name cheap - it is a fairly good service, and also quite inexpensive. Make sure you are buying "Web Hosting" not just the domain name.

As far as putting a slide show on, you are going to need some more advanced JavaScript for that to work smoothly (and probably CSS too).

If you need an alternative, you could try: http://www.ricocheting.com/code/java...mage-slideshow

or (if you are desperate) you could embed a Microsoft Powerpoint - it will only work in internet explorer. You could also embed a google docs presentation.

Learning the things required in Javascript to make a slideshow will take a long time. I might be able to provide an example, if need be - but it will be a fairly advanced one.

What features do you want? Do you need fancy transitions, or just simple slide changes? Should it automatically change slides after x seconds, or should it be a "click next to continue" thing (You could make separate webpages for each slide and link to them (again, not recommended - load time is bad and it would not look as good)

Let me know...

Hi.
    Thanks for replying. If you could make me a code for a slideshow I would be very greatful. All I want is a picture to come up for about 3 seconds. Then move onto another. It doesn't need to go to another page when clicked. And no fancy transitions.

Thanks,
    Joe

I've used this before, it's really nice.

If it's a paid domain name--the service providers should also give you a "control panel" that allows you to change what IP it goes to, however you should still check if they allow you to do this before you purchase. (If IP might change in the future)

If you're hosting your website on a VPS or dedicated server of course you can update information instantly. So you should be able to add and remove images. You should also consider learning PHP to create yourself an administration panel for uploading and deleting pictures.

Website Design

You can also try the Free Website Builder to create your website. There are many like webstarttoday.com, weebly.com etc...

Thread Information