www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: MYSQL/ PHP Help

Hybrid View

MYSQL/ PHP Help

Hi Everyone,

I have had some experience with PHP and MYSQL, but I am still very new and have a lot of learning to do. I am trying to write a program that will do the following:

The user will sign in/ register, then be brought to their homepage. Once they get to their homepage, they can see their existing project and edit that information, or they can add a new project. All the project page will have is information that they will fill out. Each project page will have their own URL.

I am having trouble as to where to start, especially setting up MYSQL databases. I was wondering how I should go about setting up the "Project" page in a database, and how to link it to the original account.

Any advise would greatly be appreciated. Thank you!

For the project table, you are going to want at LEAST 3 fields.
    Code:
    id | user_id | field_array
    You could make specific fields or you could uses PHPs serialize function. You probably would want to also have a last_edit_date column too, but it could work without out.

Well, I think you should start out looking at a few login scripts. That will help you setup that portion of the database / login functionality.

The second portion would be the projects. This may be divided up into an administrator section for those users who can access a page that allows them to add / assign projects to specific people etc versus a basic user who can add notes.

Honestly, this is a pretty big project for someone pretty new to PHP / MySQL. Maybe you might want to look into a CMS with a plugin for something like this? Just a suggestion

YOu dont think small do you!

I suggest you scrap the idea of building it from the outset and instead break it into smaller projects that trains you to eventually make the big one.

Start by a login screen that takes you to a secure area.

Manage the logins with a SQL database.

Have a play with AJAX

Have a play with using objects and classes. Much better coding.

First thing.
    if you havent already get WAMP up and running on your PC
    Download and install netbeans. I love my netbeans.

BUild little projects and finish them!
    YOull find that each success adds code you can reuse.

Thread Information