www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Free Content Management Systems..

Top Free Content Management Systems..

1.WordPress
    2.Joomla
    3.Drupal
    4.SilverStripe
    5.Cushy CMS
    6.Frog CMS
    7.MODx
    8.TYPOlight
    9.dotCMS
    10.Expression Engine
    11.Radiant CMS
    12.concrete5

This is worthless. If you post something like this, I'd suggest some reasoning or an overview of each CMS.
    I'm always up for networking with fellow web professionals. Connect with me on LinkedIn if you like!

Technically, WP isn't even a CMS.

What about Blogger? Is it CMS?

Quote Originally Posted by spufi View Post
    Technically, WP isn't even a CMS.
    Why isn't Wordpress "technically" a CMS?
    I'm always up for networking with fellow web professionals. Connect with me on LinkedIn if you like!

Quote Originally Posted by vvovvo View Post
    What about Blogger? Is it CMS?
    No. It's a blogging tool.

Quote Originally Posted by cbVision View Post
    Why isn't Wordpress "technically" a CMS?
    Because it's a blogging tool. It does not let the user create individual pages/sections with the ease an actual CMS will. One can obviously make WP mimic a CMS but work needs to be done. Case in point, let's say a person has a news feed on the home page but wants similar feeds on other pages. You have to go in and create the new page and pull in only the topics you want for that page and then limit those type of posts showing up on the home page. Last I knew you couldn't go into WP and create a contact page from the admin panel either, that should be a standard feature for a CMS.

Quote Originally Posted by spufi View Post
    It does not let the user create individual pages/sections with the ease an actual CMS will... Last I knew you couldn't go into WP and create a contact page from the admin panel either, that should be a standard feature for a CMS.
    This is incorrect. You can very easily achieve this in WP.

A contact page is easy to create in WP.
    Just create a page and install the contact form plugin.

Also I have learned how to incorporate a static html/css page into WP.
    WP has come a long ways.

Joomla is still a better CMS than WP IMHO. WP is first and for most a blogging tool with the ability to have CMS capabilities. Joomla comes out right off the bat as a CMS with blogging abilities second.

I have used both extensively for business and personal websites.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WYSIWYG editors will never beat my hand written code!!!! Learn to do it in notepad and learn how to actually control your website! Current Project http://www.jmcanineservices.com

I guess each CMS has its pros and cons.
    I also use Joomla, and currently trying the K2 extension.
    Currently I am using Wordpress and seeing what it can do.

PBSDesign - one thing we agree, hand coding is the best way.

Quote Originally Posted by 808geek View Post
    I guess each CMS has its pros and cons.
    I also use Joomla, and currently trying the K2 extension.
    Currently I am using Wordpress and seeing what it can do.

PBSDesign - one thing we agree, hand coding is the best way.
    Yeah Hand coding has always been the best way. I can't stand when people come out of college using WYSIWYG editors and get the jobs while people who can hand code are looked over because it takes longer and we may not know how to use the design features in something like Dreamweaver. I guarantee though that our code is more sustainable and we know more about whats going on with the website than those who just drag and drop.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WYSIWYG editors will never beat my hand written code!!!! Learn to do it in notepad and learn how to actually control your website! Current Project http://www.jmcanineservices.com

Wordpress is best. Drupal is ok and worst is joomla. For joomla many plugins are paid, to do any customization you will have to purchase plugin. As per seo i would say wordpress is best. Especially while you are planning to make blog section in future. In drupal is also good but joomla i would say big no no

I'd put Drupal to the top, then goes Joomla (not really as bad, but I just personally don't like it), then - WP. The reasoning is in those greatly restricted features of the latest, allowing the limited usage of the CMS (or even pseudo-CMS) only. And all other free systems may not be considered at all.

i have worked on all 3 for seo purpose and with drupal you can i think configure word press blog. With joomla we made new blog(i am not sure its also having facility that you can configure wordpress blog with that) and i would say my experience was horrible with joomla blog section.( it can also due to our programmer). Programmer created main folder as Blog and i needed it as blog. they told me for that you will have to rewrite each URL and now its not feasible to rewrite each category and tag url

These all CMS are really worth while, plus get good experiences

Thread Information