dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Test a website on various browsers version

Test a website on various browsers version

Hi guys.
    Some question about browsers and IE.
    1: Is it point to do on a website warning about IE6?
    2: When you are doing a website, on which browser version you are testing it. I mean how far backwards is point to test it?

1. I no longer support IE6 since Microsoft stopped supporting it a couple of years ago.
    2. I usually test in IE7, IE8, and IE9 as well as Firefox, Safari and then I will test on a mobile device or two.

Quote Originally Posted by s5nelson View Post
    1. I no longer support IE6 since Microsoft stopped supporting it a couple of years ago.
    2. I usually test in IE7, IE8, and IE9 as well as Firefox, Safari and then I will test on a mobile device or two.
    Toss in Chrome as it is the 2nd most used browser and this is a good baseline to work from.

Wow, I really am tired to have forgotten Chrome and it's staring me in the face on my desktop..

I went and looked up some stats. My guess is Chrome takes over as number one around the end of May if things continue as they are. IE7 will be below 2% in usage shortly and can join IE6 in the dead list IMO. It's down over 50% in the past 14 months(from 5.7% to 2.5%). My guess is within the year a number of sites won't even list IE6 as being tracked. All the more so when IE10 officially hits. One site dropped IE5 after it hit .3%. IE6 is listed at .9% and falling at .1% per month.

Thanks. Do you know how can I test on mobile devices? Is any website where can I test it. I my self don't have iPhone
    spufi - thanks for the stats. I have check them as well, and what I see is that in march is about 1% of using IE6 - not much, but sill somebody is using this(?)
    Last edited by MK-MartiX; 04-12-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MK-MartiX View Post
    spufi - thanks for the stats. I have check them as well, and what I see is that in march is about 1% of using IE6 - not much, but sill somebody is using this(?)
    My guess is the bulk of IE6 users are either from lesser developed counties or business apps written specifically for it and a company unwilling to update the app. If neither one of those is your target audience, I see no issue with not coding for it.

Thread Information