www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Noob IDE Recommendation & Question

Noob IDE Recommendation & Question

I'm an OLD-time VB coder (I'm not a programmer but did a lot of coding in VB back in the 80's and 90's) and as such I'm used to old-school IDE's where you launch the app and land right in the coding window and start off with typing away.

I'd like to find a good JavaScript IDE that has command completion, interactive help and whatever else that I might need.

I've looked at a number of IDE's and there was one thing that always threw me as a noob--I couldn't, in any of them, quickly figure out where to start coding. Everything wanted me to start a "Project" (and to me a project is a GROUP of things) and none of them ever made it clear where the interface was to actually write code.

Can someone recommend a solid IDE and perhaps give this clearly blind old-timer a quick pointer to where you go in it to start coding?

I have my own web host via Bluehost if that factors into this at all.

Thanks in advance....

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ a very good thing for coding in various programming languages, has tons of useful options, the very best source code editor i have ever used
    xxx: Guess Buddhist riddle: "What is the sound of one hand clapping?"
    yyy: facepalm

Forgive me but Notepad++ is simply an editor is it not? It has highlighting which is nice but it certainly doesn't appear to be an IDE. There's no code completion, debugger or automation of any sort. Seems great for once you're fully up to speed which I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    Forgive me but Notepad++ is simply an editor is it not? It has highlighting which is nice but it certainly doesn't appear to be an IDE. There's no code completion, debugger or automation of any sort. Seems great for once you're fully up to speed which I'm not.
    Maybe check and see if there are any plugins for Notepad++ that could do what you want? I'm pretty function list may be what you're looking for. I use Notepad++ now, but I honestly started off with regular notepad. The only reason I moved on to Notepad++ is because it counted lines lol

I use the PHP version of Eclipse. There is a JavaScript based one so I would look at that. After you open a file, it stays open until you specifically close it. This means when you start up Eclipse again, your previously opened files are still there.

In terms of projects, it helps me group all of the files I want under any site I build. If you are only working on one site and you want to skip building a project, I can see it. If you are making numerous sites, then I'm kind of shaking my head as to why you wouldn't use projects. Eclipse gives you a side bar with all of your projects for easy access to opening any file.

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/pac...lopers/indigor

Quote Originally Posted by Padonak View Post
    the very best source code editor i have ever used
    You haven't used Eclipse. People keep posting their love affair with N++ so I tried it out. It repeatedly failed to offer the basic requirements in a editor. The advantage it has versus Notepad is line numbers and text highlighting and that simply doesn't cut it.

Once I know JavaScript well I can see the benefit of Notepad++. I even tried adding JSLink to it but that didn't help much either.

Eclipse I keep looking at but some say to stay far away from it for some reason and each time I've tried it I still can't figure out where in it to start writing actual code. I feel like an idiot but it just seems that if you're current as a coder this is a non-issue but being away from it so long the setup makes very little sense to me.

i use firefox and firebug as my ide. yeah, you have to cut and paste your working code from firebug back into your file, but only at the end of coding/tweaking/debugging. A simple page refresh loads your changes, and you can [ctrl]+[Z] back to anything you were working on in the console.

you needed projects in old VB; remember closing visual studio after just jotting down some test code? 'do you want to save the form?', 'do you want to save the project?'...

i worked in vb6 back in the day, and have made the transition to web quite well. There is not a complete "package" like visual studio out there. Nobody has a monopoly on web technologies, so the financial motivation is not the same as it was for M$ to make turn-key dev environments. dreamweaver come close as anything, but you really don't need it.

the analogies to vb6 are:
    the console is like the immediate line
    the dom tab like the 'object explorer'
    the net tab is like the 'project explorer'
    the webpage itself like the 'run' view
    the individual html/js/css files are your 'form code' (which you can use wysiwyg editor like Dreamweaver to design)
    "msdn" is now known as just "mdn"

you can find code completing editors like aptana, eclispe, vim, etc...
    but firebug extensions give you live completion based on actual objects in memory on the page; can't beat that with a stick since most editors cannot keep "connecting the dots" once you get out past "document.body.firstChild"...
    Last edited by rnd me; 04-13-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks for the Firebug info. I'm a Chrome guy but still use Firefox enough that this would work.

FYI, VB6 was actually after when I coded. I'm old. hehe. I go back to the Basic Interpreter, QuickBasic, VisualBasic for MS-DOS and then VBWin up to about VB 3.0. Studio was well after those.

A vote for notepad++.

Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    Eclipse I keep looking at but some say to stay far away from it for some reason and each time I've tried it I still can't figure out where in it to start writing actual code. I feel like an idiot but it just seems that if you're current as a coder this is a non-issue but being away from it so long the setup makes very little sense to me.
    There's a welcome type of screen that you can use and tutorials, but you can close all of that that then just click on "File" and what type of file you want.

Thread Information