www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need a JavaScript Calendar that lets me write in the cells

Question Need a JavaScript Calendar that lets me write in the cells

I am looking for a JavaScript calendar that lets me write in the cells. Ideally, I would like to specify date ranges (and maybe make them a different color), and maybe even have the ability to write in specific dates with my own text. I can probably build this with relative ease on my own, but why reinvent the wheel? Where can I find this?

Thanks,
    M

Are you wanting an AJAX component to the calendar? I'm assuming you want the information input into the cells to be saved?
    joi JavaScript Framework - the sunnier side of JavaScript.

I'm sure you could find dozens of JavaScript calendars online and modify one of them to include text boxes that you could write in. But what do you plan to do with the information you add to this calendar? If you want to save that information, you're probably going to need a database on the server and software to handle everything. While HTML5 allows some local storage via JavaScript, it's a bit limited and you'll face the inevitable compatibility issues with older browsers and those who run with JavaScript disabled. This sort of datebook/calendar application is generally best done entirely from the server using a scripting language like PHP or Perl. In fact, you might be best off checking the script sites for a suitable application that will do what you want. And don't worry, if you're at all fluent in JavaScript, you can quickly learn PHP. Good luck!
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

Thanks for the advice. I know JavaScript and PHP, and all the data in the calendar will be coming from a database. I could build the front-end calendar myself, but that's a lot of work that I don't have to do. That's why I'm here asking about where to find one that's easy to manipulate.

Thread Information