www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Importing specific pieces of data from external site into your site?

Question Importing specific pieces of data from external site into your site?

Hello,
    Is there a way to import specific pieces of data from an external website? For instance, I am thinking of building a page with selected pieces of info from http://www.washington.edu/students/t...2012/chem.html where I can import the course number (SLN column), meeting times, instructor, etc. into a table that would self-populate and update as the school updates their master time schedule and so I wouldn’t have to change each time there is a change on the master one. In researching this, iFrames came up, but I was wondering if there are “better” methods available out there? Other things that came up while researching this were AJAX, PHP, something called RESTful apis, but unfortunately I have no experience in none of the items in this latter list (AJAX, PHP, RESTful).

It looks like this website is doing what I hope to be doing already (though not 100% sure, perhaps you can tell more readily): https://frenchitalian.washington.edu.../autumn/french

But from what I have learned, they are using drupal so it is a matter of some kind of add-on/module for them? Does this sort of thing require Drupal (or upgrade to a CMS rather than our current basic Dreamweaver HTML site?)
    Thanks in advance!

Forgot to mention that I would make a table with rows and am interested in having those cells from the table self-populate with the appropriate data from said website. Is such a thing possible? (Please see referenced link where it appears this is being done: https://frenchitalian.washington.edu.../autumn/french)

Anyone?

Those people should be ashamed of themselves, and they call themselves a University. A proper nursery school would have that information properly marked up--not dumped in PRE elements--and easily available to all, humans and robots alike.

Your best bet is to ask them politely for the information. Perhaps they can make it available in less of a jumble. Or then can give someone a PhD for making them a minimally acceptable web site. If that doesn't work out for you then you'll need some sort of server side scripting that can talk to the internet. Do tell us that you have PHP with the CURL module or something like that.

I would be tempted to show them your work and then see if you can do their pages instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Those people should be ashamed of themselves, and they call themselves a University. A proper nursery school would have that information properly marked up--not dumped in PRE elements--and easily available to all, humans and robots alike.

Your best bet is to ask them politely for the information. Perhaps they can make it available in less of a jumble. Or then can give someone a PhD for making them a minimally acceptable web site. If that doesn't work out for you then you'll need some sort of server side scripting that can talk to the internet. Do tell us that you have PHP with the CURL module or something like that.
    Charles, forgive me, but I am not sure I follow.

Quote Originally Posted by D3Sign View Post
    Charles, forgive me, but I am not sure I follow.
    Step 1) Contact the University and ask them for the information. Step 2) Investigate your resources. What server side scripting do you have available?

Thread Information