www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: People are getting my email address for spam

People are getting my email address for spam

Hey all,

Recently, I've been getting a lot of spam to the inbox associated with the contact form on my site. The form requires validation so I guess people are checking my code to get the name of the php form processing script, then loading that document to find my email address. When they view the script, I get an email with blank fields, which is happening a lot lately, hence the large amount of spam that follows. Is there a way to stop this, for example, hiding the php script somehow? I don't want this to start happening on my customer websites as it's really annoying. thanks guys

They shouldn't be able to actually see the contents of the PHP script, unless your server is configured very poorly.

I suspect something else is going on here.
    joi JavaScript Framework - the sunnier side of JavaScript.

Yes you're right, the contents of the script don't display. Any idea how they could be getting my email address then? I seem to get spam soon after a blank email is received. thanks

Is your Email address embedded in the HTML on the page where the contact form resides? That's a common way for SPAMmers to obtain Email addresses.
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

Ah, yes it is. not in the body text but a button has a mailto attached to it, forgot about that. What threw me was the blank emails so I thought someone was loading the php script to get my email address. thanks.

Thread Information