www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Do I need at least a Bachelor degree to get a job in the US?

Hybrid View

Do I need at least a Bachelor degree to get a job in the US?

I have a native US friend who could be my employer (he owns a software development company), but he told me that for H1B Visa I have to have at least a Bachelor degree in computer science (he has a software company). Is this true? Isn't my finished high school enough? Thanks in advance.

Jon Wire

thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

Use CODE tags!

yes, but if he wants to support me,if I do not have a Bachelor degree, could he? Or his will is not important at all in this case and I have to have a Bachelor degree?

Quote Originally Posted by swedswe View Post
    he told me that for H1B Visa I have to have at least a Bachelor degree in computer science (he has a software company).
    Likewise, the foreign worker must possess at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent and state licensure, if required to practice in that field.
    Quote Originally Posted by swedswe View Post
    yes, but if he wants to support me,if I do not have a Bachelor degree, could he? Or his will is not important at all in this case and I have to have a Bachelor degree?
    He and the article are both saying you need at least a bachelor's degree. The article does hint at people getting around it via certificates and such, but if all you have is a high school degree, I'm going to assume you will find it near impossible to qualify.

EDIT: I just reread it. If the job you are applying for requires a degree, you need an equivalent degree/education. If he is saying it requires a four year degree, you need a four year degree. Period.
    Last edited by spufi; 04-17-2012 at 05:49 PM.

From the Wiki link:

The H-1B is a non-immigrant visa in the United States under the Immigration and Nationality Act, section 101(a)(15)(H). It allows U.S. employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty occupations.
    You'd need to confirm that the software company meets the criteria...

The regulations define a "specialty occupation" as requiring theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge in a field of human endeavor.
    It also sounds like you need to have "highly specialized knowledge" prior to applying for the visa.

The employer needs to make a case that it's difficult to fill the position with a U.S. worker. I've seen employers make strange requirements for a job, basically tailored to the person they want to bring in. Not sure if they can get away with this anymore.

Thread Information