www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: A New Idea Needs Your Review

A New Idea Needs Your Review

I offer a new solution to the problems associated with small websites monetizing their web traffic. I combined aspects of Adsense type programs with the time honored delivery method of web directory and came up with a unique web directory as a way for small to medium sites to provide a high quality web directory and also to monetize their website.

The unique feature of the web directory is that the sites that install the free script also receive the categories and links (free) in real time. In other words, they receive a complete web directory without the hassle of reviewing and maintaining the links themselves. The end user gets the advantage that their link submission will be added to all the sites hosting the web directory too, resulting in their receiving much more advertising than what they would have received from just the small website.

Though the directory has been well received by the community to add their links and advertise their sites it has not been that well received when it comes to adding the web directory to websites. Without that acceptance I am only able to offer the advertising value delivered by my single, solitary website (except there are a few installs).

This result has occurred despite the script coming in three versions for each of custom php sites, WordPress sites and Joomla sites. I did have problems when initially launched with some technical issues and also with the user documentation and installation. I readdressed those and believe they have been solved but I'm not sure.

I am really at a point where I can't see the forest through the trees and could use some honest critiques of the idea, the software and the documentation. My main need is for the script to be installed so that the amount of web traffic offered to advertisers grows. I believe once that traffic grows then the rest of the ideas for monetizing will begin to be discovered and utilized. So, if critiques could go beyond critiquing the idea and actually look at the installation system and docs I would be greatly appreciative.

To be able to do that you will need to register and add a link to the directory in order to access the control panel and receive a script. Adding a link is free and so is the script.

Here is the link

The URL of the site is http://Bungeebones.com

You say a lot of words for rather simple ideas. Few people want to go to your site and read that much. Decide what is really the most crucial content and go with it.

You have some poorly laid out placement of stuff as well. Think how important "Why You Need A BungeeBones Distributed Web Directory!" is. Now realize it's not on your home page. It's halfway down on a page with a decent amount of scrolling. A person has to scroll past two sections to even get to it.

Design of the blog doesn't match that of your site.

I'm going to blame some of the mind numbing coding on a site creator tool.

Ex.
    Code:
    <li><font id="u1438" size="2"><strong><a href="/bungee_bones/index.php/104/1438/">Reference</a></strong></font><i><small><font id="c1438"></font></small></i><i><small><font id="sc1438"></font></small></i></li>
    Could be:
    Code:
    <li id="reference"><a href="/bungee_bones/index.php/104/1438/">Reference</a></li>

interested

After reading I wanted to see how your site reference integrates in a webpage. My site is unusual being that I am very conscious of real estate considerations. I would have liked to see an example page of how much space your link would occupy.

Maybe sometime in the future you can add a search box?

By the way, registration was simple, now I have to check my email.

typo

on
    http://bungeebones.com/blog/web-adve...-roi/overview/
    there is a typo, namely: "exchnange".

Btw, sorry 2bthe1 2break the news.

I like the multiple image attraction. I wonder how unlucky someone could be if rand0m() always gave them the same picture.

did some testing

Inserting my link:: After I submitted my category (Education,resources), which turned out to be distinct, I submitted it for review(mutter,mutter), It asked me to look over my information, then it was stored for approval. On the subsequent sequence a link to the control panel was offered so I clicked, and this was the result. The rest of the page did show up.
    Hello WyCnet !

You are currently logged in.

adj_factor is empty - there must not be an entry for this category in Gen - category #10001 which will throw division by zero errors

Warning: Division by zero in /home/bungeebo/public_html/classes/price_slot_class.php on line 765

Warning: Division by zero in /home/bungeebo/public_html/classes/price_slot_class.php on line 767

easy enough.

Here is the page http://www.wyc3.com/BungeeBones/index.php/,
    as is it is the result from the last set of instructions from the BunBon site.

later when time permits I will add a button next to the WyCnet "About us" front page scare. My site is running on three wheels at this time!!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Here are some followup points...
    Spufi, your points are well taken. I've struggled with that and have redone the home page many times. By making it simple I assume you mean simple registration process and adding a web site to the web directory. That will only result in me getting more links submitted and no web directories installed. I believe I have to explain why, how etc to install the directory in order to get installations. Also, I present it as unique so I need to say why it is unique. I accept the point about the blog layout and will see what I can do about that (thanks!). As far as the code, if I remember right, I think I put that in there that way to enable custom CSS for the category display. There is always room for improvement in my CSS coding, for sure.

WyCnet, I sent you an email about your site and the install. I get notified when someone attempts an install and hadn't realized you had posted here. First, let me say "thanks" for all the feedback and going to the trouble of installing it.

Re: the search box ... It is part of the plan but was de-activated temporarily. There is a lot to consider. For instance, Google used to work for Yahoo as a contractor to handle Yahoo's search. Look what happened :-). I don't want people to "search" the directory by typing a search term, I want them to review the links and descriptions.

I fixed the typo (thanks) and the blog template I used is something I will address soon.

The error message you got looks like a bug that is hopefully just related to the link not being approved yet or something like that. It is something I put in the code myself and is related to the scripts ability to put a different price on different categories. The idea is that lawyers, doctors etc are willing to spend more for advertising than barbers, hair salons etc. If you can email me about how this turns out later I would appreciate it.

Lastly, the web directory type you installed at http://www.wyc3.com/BungeeBones/index.php/ was the demo version. The idea is to install the web directory inside your own site's template so it is customised to your website. Again, you can email me if you like or post here how to get your site template working.

Thread Information