www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Personal Data Backup

Personal Data Backup

Hi, guys. I wanted to get everyone's thoughts and opinions on what I should use for personal data backup.

Here's the background:

I had originally been backing up everything using an online service, but some time ago, my ISP instituted a monthly bandwidth cap, so this became impractical. I decided I would use the online backup for only my most irreplaceable files, and a traditional external HD for a full backup.

My problem now is: picking the software for the full backup.

* I tried Acronis TrueImage, but its backups seem fragile. Once it tries to consolidate incremental backups, or even if I just change a setting, then the backups suddenly start failing.
    * I tried the built-in Windows Backup, but it doesn't recognize when files have been moved, renamed, or deleted, so the backup becomes full of duplicates, which makes restoring painful or corrupted.
    * I went low-tech and tried 7-Zip, since it can synchronize archives with any updates to my files, but I couldn't control where it puts the temp archive, and I don't have the space on my OS drive for a 200GB temp file.
    * Now I'm trying Microsoft's SyncToy, but it's a huge performance hog. While it's running, I can't even move the mouse without a 30 second lag time.

I'm so tired of my terrible choices, and I'm hoping people here have some solid recommendations to try.
    for(split(//,'))*))91:+9.*4:1A1+9,1))2*:..)))2*:31.-1)4131)1))2*:3)"'))
    {for(ord){$i+=$_&7;grep(vec($s,$i++,1)=1,1..($_>>3)-4);}}print"$s\n";

Never tried it, but Norton's Ghost might be an option.

Me, I just use XCOPY. You can't go wrong with XCOPY.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Man.. haven't even heard of xcopy since DOS 3.31.. is that still around??? LOL

|||||
    o . Q
    ___ "You live and you learn; or you don't live long." - Lazarus Long

^_^

All I can tell you is DON'T go with Acronis. Your instincts are right and it's backups are fragile. I have a 25GB volume sitting on an external hard drive that cannot be restored because of some setting that can't be found. After that horrifying experience, I've went super low key and just move my files over to the external HD once a week.
    I've switched careers...
    I'm NO LONGER a scientist,
    but now a web developer...
    awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfShade View Post
    Man.. haven't even heard of xcopy since DOS 3.31.. is that still around??? LOL

It's a good practice at work to always have the DOS shell open on your desktop. People will see that and think that you must be doing something important.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

The following is a popular freebie:

SyncBack Freeware
    http://download.cnet.com/SyncBack-Fr...-10413802.html

The paid version has more options.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    It's a good practice at work to always have the DOS shell open on your desktop. People will see that and think that you must be doing something important.
    I've been taking A+, N+, and MCTS classes and we have used command line quite a bit. Half of tomorrow's class is suppose to be pure command line. At some point I'll likely just create some batch files and schedule them to be run at various points so I'm backing up automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Duly noted.
    |||||
    o . Q
    ___ "You live and you learn; or you don't live long." - Lazarus Long

^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    The following is a popular freebie:

SyncBack Freeware
    http://download.cnet.com/SyncBack-Fr...-10413802.html

The paid version has more options.
    I've been trying SyncBack, and so far it seems to be working out quite well! Thanks for the tip.
    for(split(//,'))*))91:+9.*4:1A1+9,1))2*:..)))2*:31.-1)4131)1))2*:3)"'))
    {for(ord){$i+=$_&7;grep(vec($s,$i++,1)=1,1..($_>>3)-4);}}print"$s\n";

Thread Information