www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Can I add text in the same way as a picture?

Can I add text in the same way as a picture?

I have a collection of vintage photos on-line. The set of pages I am writing uses each picture file in more than one page. That works well.

I am now building a text desciption for each picture but the only way I can think of doing it is in a table. Is there a way of calling packets of text in the same way as I would a picture file? I'm guessing a database but I only know 'Access'. Can I use that and if so, how would I do it please?

My site is very basic HTML

Stay away from Access, it's rubbish. Use SQL which should be included within your hosting package (if not, let us know and we can give you some cheap hosting), which will allow you to save various bits of info.

I don't quite understand what you mean but by saying you need text relating to images, I would name the images numbers and then use the database to match up to that particular image ID, which will show the text. PHP & MySQL would be your best bet.
    Titanium Web Designs Ltd - Bespoke websites and online systems

Access is pretty bad but it does have its charms. You'll need some sort of server side scripting so please tell us that you have PHP available. And if you really want to use Access for your DB then you can do that but your server will need to be running on a Windows box.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

I'm not even sure how much .NET interacts with Access for a web application. Access is ok, but there are far better DBs out there for web pages. MySQL being one.

Thank you for all the info. Looks like I have to learn some new stuff then. I am sure that PHP is available on my server. I've got the book 'PHP & MySQL for Dummies' so I better start reading it.

I'll be back

you may as wll know about...

As you are at it, you should know that when "The set of pages I am writing uses each picture file in more than one page.", that the relations between G, Am and C must be written differently for the key of G and the key of C. So the picture of Am of page C, should not have identical information as its picture on page G.

This only means more work for you, when you associate an image with different connotations using text. In a realer world the symbolic set Context = {synopsis, explanation, description, knowledge implication, utility} represented as text presents a database lookup challenge when assumed to have the property of being adjacent to an image.

I've got as far as Chapter 1. I think you might be rushing me ???

Quote Originally Posted by ceegee View Post
    I've got as far as Chapter 1. I think you might be rushing me ???
    What they posted was basically gibberish.

Thread Information