www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: php and ffmpeg questions

php and ffmpeg questions

Hello everyone,

I am working on a project that allows users to upload video. For accessibility purpose, I need to convert the video file to .mp4, .ogv and .webm.

So the idea is to use:

1. input file to allow user to upload.

2. After upload is completed, the php script will call 3 commands(I am planning to use shell_exec() to call these 3 commands).

ffmpeg -i video.avi video.ogv

My questions are:

1. Am I doing it right? I ve seen a php extension call php_ffmpeg. Not sure if I can use it to achieve my goal instead.

2. If I proceed to do those things above, Will there be a problem if I try to call those 3 commands at the same time? Will they even be executed? It takes a while for me to convert a small video by using the command prompt.

For starters, you will probably have to point php to your ffmpeg install. Not sure where that would be on a windows system, but in linux, you would use something like
    PHP Code:
    $ffmpeg "/usr/local/bin/ffmpeg"
    Then to actually execute your conversion, use something like
    PHP Code:
    $exec_string = ($ffmpeg " -i " $uploadFilename" -b:v 2000k -acodec libvorbis -ac 2 -ab 256k -threads 0 " $finout "");

exec($exec_string); 
    Obviously, you need to set the variables for the original file name ($uploadFilename) and the name of your newly created output file ($finout). But that works for me. And depending on how you installed ffmpeg, you may find that you need to reinstall it. There are a variety of addons/extra codecs. For myself, I found the basic ffmpeg install would have issues with webm. I needed to install it with additional codecs activated.

There's a good tutorial for that here
    https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/...mpilationGuide

Be sure to follow all the "optional" steps as well.

And it won't run them all at once. It will do it sequentially.

Thank you.

neither exec or shell_exec can execute command prompt commands. They are meant to call shell script commands only I guess. Will need to install linux.

Thread Information