www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Way to make a website editable

Way to make a website editable

Hello, this is my first post on this forum and I'm hoping you'll be able to help me with my issue.

About Myself: (Actual problem below if you just want to jump down)
    I am a brand new high school graduate working at a summer job with a software company. I've taken entry level college programming classes in HTML, Java, and Visual Basic through a duel-enrolled program at my high school. At this summer job, my boss isn't expecting me to do work for customers, but he has asked me to upgrade their website.

About Problem:
    The company's website is over 10 years old and frankly looks like it. However, the company put a lot of effort into it and my boss is very proud that there is no other website that looks exactly like it (probably for good reason). What he wants me to do is keep it exactly as it looks, but add a log in option, that when he logs in, he can then edit any page or add new pages and content. I told him this sounds exactly like a web-editor that he could just buy and use, but he doesn't want to use them because he wants the website to stay EXACTLY THE SAME (I can't stress that enough because he mentions it every time I talk to him).

So do you know of any web-editor that would do what he wants, or what direction I should focus my programming research to accomplish this? I feel I could understand the code needed to make this work, but I just have no idea where to begin looking. My searches on Google and other forums have only resulted in ways to allow users to add and edit posts, or web-editors that start you with a template. Thanks for reading, and I can answer any questions if I wasn't clear enough about this issue.

Can I have a link to the site? (must see this dinosaur in action ^_^)
    If he doesn't want to use any sort of editor and it sounds like an actual "cms" (content management system) is out of the question.
    Ask him if the server has server-side script available (e.g. PHP, ASP, JSP, etc.).
    If so, you could make a simple editor that loads a page into a HTML form.

Dreamweaver or notepad++ is good for web programming or coding. If you paste here URL I will let you know which language used by web.

Quote Originally Posted by ShrineDesigns View Post
    Can I have a link to the site? (must see this dinosaur in action ^_^)
    If he doesn't want to use any sort of editor and it sounds like an actual "cms" (content management system) is out of the question.
    Ask him if the server has server-side script available (e.g. PHP, ASP, JSP, etc.).
    If so, you could make a simple editor that loads a page into a HTML form.
    Quote Originally Posted by diyaldin View Post
    Dreamweaver or notepad++ is good for web programming or coding. If you paste here URL I will let you know which language used by web.
    Same thoughts, here in this forum, it is advisable to share the link of the site so that we can know where we can help.
    I can never gain something without losing everything I had before.
    ― Nadia Scrieva, Fathoms of Forgiveness | 12BET

Thread Information