dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Display prices or not...

Question Display prices or not...

Hi,

I am not sure where to put this post so I apologise to the mods if it's in the wrong place....

How do you deal with pricing? Do you display it on your site and also what is the best website you have seen to display pricing....

Cheers in advance

Fresh Fire

It all depends on what site it is, what product are you selling?

If it is web development, no I don't display prices as such and would advise you not to, instead work on drawing people in as they will judge you by the quality of your site as you're selling development, so you need to be anal to the point of the placement of everything, even colour psychology.

As for web development pricing, Ive been burnt as others have by missed payments and quibbles. Here is what I do, if it will help you going forward:

I offer:
    - A £10/$16 (excluding travel expenses) non returnable, non committed, hour long consultation where either one of us can say no thanks afterwards. £10/$16 an hour is very cheap IMHO as I usually charge upwards of double that in IT work. During that consultation, I discuss with them what they want, how much they are willing to invest in their business and site, etc etc, over a cup of coffee, very informal and relaxed. I use the process for them to get a better idea of where they are heading, to evaluate my work and evaluate them as a client. If I get the feeling they won't pay or mess me around for peanuts, I will decline the work and leave them with an hours worth of valuable advice for a bargain sum.

- If we both agree to work together, then I draw up a plan with them, sketches, timetables, payment stages throughout the project (get paid at milestones) and enter in to a signed contract. Sadly you even have to do this with friends. I have been jerked around by a friend before. This is where a contract is needed. I have never needed to say this to someone as no-one has asked for a refund, but you may need to say at some point, "go ahead, sue me" as many people expect you to do 50 hours work for £50 and are completely unrealistic. So long as you fulfil the contract, you're good.

- Then go ahead, do the work as per sketch, meet up again, collect payment instalment, discuss any alterations, go back and do them, bring it back, collect another payment or final one and then move in to final testing/soft launch if needed.

For website design....

Yes, then for website design/development, it would be as per my advice above. Be very clear on what you will deliver as well as being clear on the clients expectations then it should be relatively smooth going.

It depends who you are marketing too. If you are marketing to mom and pops store. No prices. If you put 2k on the website. People will run away.

If you can engage them into a conversion you can see what the potential is and sell from there.

If you are selling to marketing companies like a fast quick service. For example we sell PSD to HTML. We put our prices because even though it is web development all our competitors do too.

In the end nobody knows what is the best way to market. You will have to put yourself out there and do some A/B testing.

Do i get more leads with prices/ without prices.

If you do not have the time do that or you are not getting volume to do that then do what your competitors are doing. Most straight forward Wed Design companies do not put their prices on their website.

Well in first we don't usually show the price, but once we they are confirmed and act upon they we show them price of particular product.

It all depends. If your trying to market a product you must remember you want to highlight some special offer, one that is irresistable to potential customer.

Thread Information