www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: notepad++ tab problems

notepad++ tab problems

edit: I managed to post this on sourceforge. Had to type in giberish to signup.

original message:

If you have several rows of tabs in notepad++ and click on any tab that entire row will be moved to be the bottom row. Is it possible to setup notepad++ to stop doing this? I find it rather confusing and takes me longer to jump around my tabs.

On top of that, lets say you have 9 tabs open and they fall fit on a single row. You then add a new item and notepad++ doesn't have room for that new tab. So instead of conveniently placing the new tab on a new row alone, it will take some of the 9 tabs in the first row and move them into the second row along with the 10th item... Once again needlessly causing confusion.

Anyone know any fixes to these problems? I can't even sign up to sourceforge to post it own their site (it keeps telling me they want a domain name for my username)
    Last edited by ZeratulsDomain; 04-28-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: monkey's may take over the world one day

Who cares? Why do you need to have so many files open at a time? Why are you using notepad?

To the best of my knowledge, notepad++ isn't really designed to work in place of an IDE, which will manage documents like this a little better for you.

Otherwise, if you're hell-bent on using notepad++, browser through the plugins. Plugins menu => Plugin Manager. Perhaps you'd prefer to uncheck the muli-line box? Or ... just deal with it. If this is a frequent occurrence for you, one would think you'd eventually grow accustomed to the rows reorganizing themselves.

Or just don't keep leave so my files open When I find I've got that many tabs open in a text editor (or even an IDE), it's usually b/c I'm trying to work on too many aspect of a project simultaneously.

... Oh, or get a wider monitor. I can open around 20 tabs before notepad++ adds a row. And I'm only on a 22-inch or something like that.
    Jon Wire

thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

Use CODE tags!

Quote Originally Posted by jedaisoul View Post
    Who cares? Why do you need to have so many files open at a time? Why are you using notepad?
    Way to be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by svidgen View Post
    ... Oh, or get a wider monitor. I can open around 20 tabs before notepad++ adds a row. And I'm only on a 22-inch or something like that.
    You do realize a bigger monitor size doesn't always mean more room for tabs right? It's based on screen resolution. Also, simply getting a monitor might not be option for the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by spufi View Post
    You do realize a bigger monitor size doesn't always mean more room for tabs right? It's based on screen resolution. Also, simply getting a monitor might not be option for the OP.
    Yes, of course. But, you don't have to be a condescending jackass. Not only does a wider monitor generally come with a higher resolution, it was one of 4 suggestions.

Don't be an ass for the sake of being an ass, please.
    Jon Wire

Use CODE tags!

the original author replied to my post. He said I was out of luck since he was using windows tab API or something. But to reply to some of the questions:

I care, hence my post... And whats wrong with notepad++? Its a simple UI that works for me. And I often work with several dozen pages open at the time. My current project has ~200 pages of HTML/php (+ a few more of javascript, css and global files)

Or just don't keep leave so my files open When I find I've got that many tabs open in a text editor (or even an IDE), it's usually b/c I'm trying to work on too many aspect of a project simultaneously.
    Well I tend to jump around a lot when im implementing new features in the system. Sometimes when you aren't lucky you need to change something across multi pages. So its easy to have pages, classes and functions files all open at once.

Ouch, I cant imaging working on such a small monitor. But monitor size (or resolution) is irrelevant as it only adds a few extra tabs. For example my 1920x1200 currently fits only fit 16 right now while my on 2560x1440 fits 22.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeratulsDomain View Post
    Well I tend to jump around a lot when im implementing new features in the system. Sometimes when you aren't lucky you need to change something across multi pages. So its easy to have pages, classes and functions files all open at once.
    This suggests that the problem stems from a deeper problem, that of not properly reusing code.

In any case, if you have a burning need to keep 20+ files "open" at all times, you're not looking for a text editor. You're looking for an IDE.
    Jon Wire

Use CODE tags!

This suggests that the problem stems from a deeper problem, that of not properly reusing code.
    I do re-use code a lot... I got 49 files in my classes and functions folder (then I also have other global classes/functions/includes that I re-use). This is just a massive project, biggest ive ever done.

In any case, if you have a burning need to keep 20+ files "open" at all times, you're not looking for a text editor. You're looking for an IDE.
    Maybe you got a good point with an IDE. Managing this project in notepad++ has been difficult, ive always been happy with notepad++ so ive never used an GUI for PHP before (closest thing would be frontpage for HTML when I was a kid or studio for VB/C). Zend seems interesting... I will probably DL the demo once I get time.

I didn't want to be "that guy" so I held off recommending on switching to a different tool, but if are looking to, the PHP flavored version of Eclipse is a far better product. I don't think N++ last 10 minutes on my PC after testing N++ out since numerous people kept saying how great it was. N++ isn't bad, but it's merely mid level at best.

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/pac...pers/heliossr2

Komodo Edit gets a thumbs up as well, but Eclipse does a better out-of-the-box handling of PHP.

Thread Information