dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need an application to manage delivery services (shipping, drivers, and locations).

Question Need an application to manage delivery services (shipping, drivers, and locations).

I need an application for a delivery module. What I want to do is put in a list of drivers, locations, and times they are available, and manage them using javascript. It's like if you have a bunch of people delivering pizzas, you have to know who goes out, where, and when. In essence, this is like Point of Success. http://www.pointofsuccess.com.

Is there any free web app for this that I can tie in to JavaScript?

Thanks,
    Brendan

what do you mean "manage them"? what's the functionality? and why wouldn't you just do it with a spreadsheet? or is it supposed to be accessed from multiple locations in real time? and who inputs data? is it centralized or does each driver update their own status?

Xelawho, thanks for taking an interest in my comment. I need this to be web-based because it will need to be accessed on the web in real time. I am tying a website into this, and the functionality depends on the data.

Basically, I want this:

I tell the system how many "drivers" I have available for delivery for that day, and when they're working.
    I tell the system which neighborhoods I want to service that day.
    Each delivery takes 15 minutes.
    When someone orders a product, I will have them choose a date and time for delivery (that I entered). Depending on the neighborhood they're in, the dates and times may vary.
    When I have a delivery to make in a certain neighborhood, a driver is assigned to that area.

I can go in to more detail, but does something like this exist?

it sounds like a very basic database to me. no doubt something like this exists, but it wouldn't be that hard to make it yourself.

it could be done solely in javascript, but it seem to me it would make more sense to have a database on the server which you can update and then when the user enters their details, it checks the dates/time, area, availability of delivery guy and cones up with a result (presumably informing you, the customer and the driver).

Thread Information