www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got 2 jobs - But which one to choose??? :-|

Just got 2 jobs - But which one to choose??? :-|

I'm in a bit of an awkward situation. Basically I 've been studying web development for a year or 2 and currently work as a web developer on a job which is practically voluntary and is minimum wage but I wanted to do it to get experience as a developer. I am now very experienced in html, php, sql, javascript, jquery, seo and am getting the hang of frameworks such as Zend and Codeigniter

After struggling for a year and a half and failing a couple of interviews I've managed to get 2 job offers and passed the interviews for each. I've accepted both jobs to keep my options open but now of course I have to pick which one to let down.

Here's my dilema - One job is working for a very popular retail company here in the uk, the people there seem great and laid back and the job is entirely front end work, css, html, javascript and jquery. This job also offers 4 grand a year more and is a guaranteed job for 12 months at which point my contract will be renewed.

The other job is much more concerned with the use of the zend frameworks but they also do a little bit of everything including html, css, php and javascript and as a condition of employment have put me on a 3 month contract during which my performance will decide if I get kept on or not (although I've heard pretty much everybody gets kept on). The company attempts to churn out websites as fast as possible and wants all their developers to be of a high standard when using frameworks. Although it seems less comfy and more pressure it does seem like it would advance me

So basically I'm wondering what would you guys do because I'm lost

I take the first one without hesitation. Better pay, better job security, less stress.

Take the first one without hesitation. Anyone that tries to create a factory out of a "piece of art" misses the point and doesn't care about their people as much as their bottom line. You will be much happier at the other place. And I bet without hesitation that if you end up not liking the first job... the second will take you at anytime.

I'm going to go against the general consensus here (which was, by the way, dictated by the way you phrased your question, so we all know that you actually want to take the first job and are just looking for confirmation).

Especially in the start of a career, do you want to be depended on to do things that you already know how to do well (and thus will never be pushed on the job to improve/expand your skills)? Or, do you want to be pushed to learn and do new things that will expand your knowledge, despite the fact that they may be uncomfortable? (as being expected to learn anything new usually is).

Besides, you can always tell the second job offer about your first offer and say after 3 months, if they deem you satisfactory you want to make the same salary as the first job offer. If they say no and the money is that important to you (to some people it is, and to some people it isn't), then bingo - you're decision has been made for you!
    I've switched careers...
    I'm NO LONGER a scientist,
    but now a web developer...
    awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by aj_nsc View Post
    Besides, you can always tell the second job offer about your first offer and say after 3 months, if they deem you satisfactory you want to make the same salary as the first job offer. If they say no and the money is that important to you (to some people it is, and to some people it isn't), then bingo - you're decision has been made for you!
    If you wait three months, the other job isn't there.

if you want to enhance your career as a developer(i mean designeer-designer+engineer)then its better to grab the second one or if you think you need good pay with less stress then go for the first one.

catch the right track.

Good points guys. Cheers

I've been speaking about this today with the guys in my current job. My concern is this - if I take the retail company job my front end skills will develop but I won't develop my coding (php, frameworks and sql skills) much at all whereas in the other job I would be doing a bit of everything but would develop my coding primarily which may benefit me more compared to front end skills as an offer-able skill in further jobs.

However one guy has advised if I take the better paid job future jobs will offer more whereas I may look more desperate if I come from the lesser paid job and people will think I have less experience/skill so basically as far as selling myself to other employers goes he thinks "better current wage = more experienced candidate = better opportunities for better jobs". I suppose then it would be up to me to enhance my coding during my spare time which I do anyway. It's just that I find I learn the most in a working environment with real pressure.

I'm sort of wishing I never got accepted for one of the jobs so I never had this choice to make even though that sounds strange considering what most will see as the good position I'm in :-|

Quote Originally Posted by spufi View Post
    If you wait three months, the other job isn't there.
    Bad use of language on my part - state what you would like for your salary after 3 months, if the would like to keep you on, in the INITIAL NEGOTIATION, not after 3 months - that doesn't make any sense.

Also, to the OP, keep in mind that you don't have to pick one job over the other on the basis of pay, necessarily. Pick which one you want, and then negotiate. The first offer by an employer is seldom their best one.
    I've switched careers...
    I'm NO LONGER a scientist,
    but now a web developer...
    awesome.

Yep I know what you mean. I don't want to negotiate though to be honest because I wouldn't like working in an environment where I'm doing the same job but I'm on more than everyone around me. Money doesn't even come into into it for me personally. As I say my last job was minimum wage and I was happy to work there because I simply love anything to do with web. If the case was that job 1 also involved a degree of back end coding but was even less money than job 2 I'd accept job 1 and that'd be that. It's the fact that it doesn't which I'm worried about because I can't see much of a challenge in doing just css and javascript related tasks compared to my current job where we are doing complex php tasks, nor progression into further jobs based on just my experience of front end.

The main worry about job 2 is the 3 month probation period element. It seems a huge risk to go to a company which may take people on in bulk straight from university too (a lot of the people that work there are ex students) and then only pick a couple of them from the new crop of starters when the 3 month probation period is up. Then I'm potentially out of work.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyoneshot View Post
    (although I've heard pretty much everybody gets kept on)
    When I read that the first time I thought, "Famous last words."

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyoneshot View Post
    The main worry about job 2 is the 3 month probation period element. It seems a huge risk to go to a company which may take people on in bulk straight from university too (a lot of the people that work there are ex students) and then only pick a couple of them from the new crop of starters when the 3 month probation period is up. Then I'm potentially out of work.
    Not helping to change that opinion.

If you don't know, it might be interesting to find out what chance you have within the "safe" job to move around to do the other stuff you want after a period of time. At least with the front end stuff you get to deal with the emerging mobile market as where the back end stuff is going to be rather static.

Found out some more info on this. Basically the 3 month probation thing is nothing to worry about. It basically means for the first 3 months you are on 2 grand less than the normal wage then after the 3 months you go up to the regular wage and according to my source everyone has always been kept on and even if they were to fail the 3 months it then gets extended to 6 months i.e. not simply job over as I thought.

This is making me lean towards job 2 now. I also have friends working at job 2 which I forgot to mention before. My decision pretty much rides on the career path/opportunities related to frameworks such as zend compared to the experience I would gain as a front end developer for a very big company. Would a career as a zend developer be more opportunity rich than one as a front end developer? It's not as though I'm new to frameworks either as I've tried zend a little bit but have a month or 2s experience at codeigniter

Quote Originally Posted by spufi View Post
    At least with the front end stuff you get to deal with the emerging mobile market as where the back end stuff is going to be rather static.
    Good point there :-|

Just a hunch. You want job two, but you want others to confirm it. The bigger issue isn't the job security. It's being stuck in a job. Once you found the job that took care of priority number one, you started to research priority number two. Case in point, I wondered about more info for job one about advancement. You came back with more info about job two in regards to security. Having friends at the second job will also help you succeed as well. Well, if they are good friends.

Just a hunch. You want job two, but you want others to confirm it. The bigger issue isn't the job security. It's being stuck in a job. Once you found the job that took care of priority number one, you started to research priority number two. Case in point, I wondered about more info for job one about advancement. You came back with more info about job two in regards to security. Having friends at the second job will also help you succeed as well. Well, if they are good friends.

Yep I am now starting to lean towards job 2 seriously. Does anyone know the future career aspects for a zend developer compared to a css, html and javascript front end developer in the uk?

Basically what do you guys think would be best for my career path considering that in either job after a year or 2 max I want to move up elsewhere?

Thread Information