www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Getting my menu's to be in a fixed standardized place

Getting my menu's to be in a fixed standardized place

I took over being a web admin for the site
    http://jocelynntice.com/

If you surf around you'll notice the menu keeps changing.

I wasn't the one who designed this site so I'm un-famliar with a lot of the methods used. It is set up to auto-adjust tables whenever any changes are made, which is great for pictures, but terrible for the menu since the menu and the picture gallery seem to be part of the same formula.

Could someone explain to me a way to standardize the menu and get it in a fixed position for all the pages so it can look semi professional.

I took some screen shots of the website in dreamweaver
    http://tinypic.com/r/n2omt5/6
    http://tinypic.com/r/1toi9u/6

I can take more specific screen shots and i'm willing to learn and change things around, any help would be greatly appreciated.

it may not be the answer you were looking for and if i were in your shoes..
    i would start building this site all over again..
    with notepad++ and not Dreamweaver
    with <div> tags instead of tables..
    with floats instead of position relative/absolute
    with some simple js\jq codes to make the galleries look friendly and beautiful
    this site is old ist it?

Yeah it was made about 8+ years ago i think, i only took on the site about a year ago, and i've brought up re-designing but she's getting old and doesn't want to be hassled with it.
    I'll run it by her again though.

1. Create a CSS file named styles. Make sure it has a .css extension.
    2. Add this code into it.

Code:
    #menu {
        width:200px;
    }
    #menu li {
        list-style:none;
        text-align:center;
    }
    #menu ul {
        margin:0;
        padding:0;
    }
    3. Switch out your menu code for this.
    Code:
    <tr>
        <td>
            <nav>
                <ul id="menu">
                    <li><a href="index.htm">Home</a></il>
                    <li><a href="Portraits/Portraitsbw.htm">Drawings</a></il>
                    <li><a href="Portraits/Portraitscolor.htm">Portraits</a></il>
                    <li><a href="Puppets/Puppets.htm">3D</a></il>
                    <li><a href="pets.html">Pets</a></il>
                    <li><a href="landscape1.html">Landscapes</a></il>
                    <li><a href="http://mystudiollc.com">Instruction &amp; Workshops</a></il>
                    <li><a href="About/About.htm"></a></il>
                    <li><a href="Contact/Contact.htm">contact</a></li>            
                </ul>
            </nav>
        </td>
    </tr>
    4. Add this inside of your <head> tag.
    Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="styles.css" />
    Note, there was two links to About so I removed one. Your Home link doesn't work. Doing sites in pure markup Dreamweaver won't be too bad. You just have to clean stuff up every so often. If you want to go beyond Dreamweaver, Komodo Edit, or the PHP or JavaScript flavored versions of Eclipse work. I tried Notepad++ and wasn't impressed with it at all and was quickly uninstalled.

1. Have you considered whether the woman who sold you this antique code knows how to write a modern site? If not, you could waste a lot of time (and/or money) and get no further down the line.

2. I suggest that the solution really is to learn how to do it yourself. There are HTML, CSS, PHP (and other) reference works and tutorials on the web. Browse a few.

3. If you do want to try altering the code yourself: MAKE AN OFF-LINE COPY and work on that.

4. Right from the start, archive everything. I.e. Before you make a change, however trivial, take a back-up of the code AND KEEP IT. You never know when you may want to look up some old code to figure out how it worked. Also I frequently have to restore from the archive, when a change does not work as expected! It's far easier to copy back than undo all the changes!!!

E.g. I have an archive folder for each site, and I copy the whole site into a sub-folder which I name with a name, a sequence number and a one word comment. E.g. If the off-line working copy is in folder .../www/simtime/... it would be archived to, say, .../archive/simtime/sim001_valid/...

Note:
    a) 001 is the sequence number.
    b) "Valid" means I have validated the HTML and CSS with the W3C or WDG validators.

Other comments might be "ok" for a version that appears to work fine, but has not been validated, or "duff" (yes I archive the failed changes before I step-back to a previous good version)!

5. I use Crimson Editor v3.60, and am very happy with that. Note: I've had problems with later versions of CEDT on some versions of Windows. V3.60 works fine for me on XP, Vista and 7.
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 05-06-2012 at 06:40 AM.

Thread Information