www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Flash on a tablet

Exclamation Flash on a tablet

We are looking at putting a flash game onto a tablet and I am looking for some advice as to what is possible and which tablet would be best.

1. Best case scenario would be to be able to copy an html file, a javascript file and a swf file onto a tablet and run the html file (which has the javascript and swf file used within it). Is this possible with any of the tablets? Perhaps the Samsung or the Blackberry?

2. Alternately if that is not possible we would just load a swf directly onto the tablet and run it. Is this possible with any of the tablets?

Keep in mind the tablet is going to be used offline most of the time and the files need to be loaded directly onto the tablet.

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by BluegillMedia; 05-07-2012 at 10:42 AM.
    Hey, I like potatoes!
    Support the wwf org!

Not going to work on iPad. Might work on other devices. Chances are really good that you'll need to compile for each type of device you want offline access for since AFAIK most devices will drop cache after the session has ended (to save on Mem+Disk space on small devices).

Ya, we aren't needing to record anything into memory. I was under the impression that that is quite difficult and that wont likely fit into the scope of the project.
    Hey, I like potatoes!
    Support the wwf org!

Quote Originally Posted by BluegillMedia View Post
    Ya, we aren't needing to record anything into memory. I was under the impression that that is quite difficult and that wont likely fit into the scope of the project.
    When a browser loads assets it stores them in cache. Mobile browsers tend to flush the cache and load fresh much more often than desktop browsers from what I've seen. I was referring to the need to present the contents as an "app" since you wanted offline viewing ability (and because the mobile device will likely have cleared any possible cache it will try to download fresh again).

Does it need to be an actual app? I can't just run the file like I would from a desktop machine? I know the iPad doesn't work that way, but I thought you could do that from the other tablets.
    Hey, I like potatoes!
    Support the wwf org!

Quote Originally Posted by BluegillMedia View Post
    Does it need to be an actual app? I can't just run the file like I would from a desktop machine? I know the iPad doesn't work that way, but I thought you could do that from the other tablets.
    Not usually AFAIK. Might be able to use USB data transfer to move the files over to the documents area on Android and run the html using the browser...but this is not a clean solution if you are expecting end users to use your content.

Thread Information