www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Form question

Hybrid View

Form question

I came across a form today that im not familiar with and was hoping to learn what im dealing with. Rather than the form using typcial <input> fields, they were replaced with tags such as #Name#. So the form, simplified, looked like:

Code:
    <form method="post" action="#">
    <table>
    <tr>
    <td>Name</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td>#First_Name#</td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    <td>Email</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td>#Email#</td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    <input type="image" src="submit.png" name="submit">
    </form>

What script/language am I dealing with. I need to learn as much as I can about it. Thanks in advance for any help.

The code fragment you posted looks like it came from a template. At some point, a piece of software would replace the #Field Name# markers with some other code, presumably <input> tags, before sending it to users. Without more information, it's impossible to know how it was intended to be used or what languages were involved.
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

Quote Originally Posted by rtrethewey View Post
    The code fragment you posted looks like it came from a template. At some point, a piece of software would replace the #Field Name# markers with some other code, presumably <input> tags, before sending it to users. Without more information, it's impossible to know how it was intended to be used or what languages were involved.

What more info do you need? Not sure I have much more to offer. Unfortunately I didnt have access to the full directory, so I dont know what other files I had, but the final page was aspx. The code I put up was just an example of the code on the page, but it followed that format. I get that the server will have to parse the code and replace those #tags# with the matching input info, but Im wondering if anyone might know what language it is?

Thanks

OK, the .aspx file name extension says the site runs on a Microsoft IIs server and uses ASP for scripting. So it's pretty safe to assume that the code you posted was originally designed to be used with an ASP script. But since there's nothing in the code fragment that actually does anything uniquely requiring ASP, it really doesn't matter. You could use any scripting language you like to read the code you posted from a file, replace the markers as needed, and send the result to the user. These days, you could even use JavaScript to do the job, but chances are that you'd be best off using a server-side scripting language like ASP or PHP.
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

Quote Originally Posted by rtrethewey View Post
    OK, the .aspx file name extension says the site runs on a Microsoft IIs server and uses ASP for scripting. So it's pretty safe to assume that the code you posted was originally designed to be used with an ASP script. But since there's nothing in the code fragment that actually does anything uniquely requiring ASP, it really doesn't matter. You could use any scripting language you like to read the code you posted from a file, replace the markers as needed, and send the result to the user. These days, you could even use JavaScript to do the job, but chances are that you'd be best off using a server-side scripting language like ASP or PHP.
    Ok. So the #tags# isnt really indicative of any one language, if i read you right, but likely asp. Ill go do some homework. Thanks!

Thread Information