<title>Client Validation</title>
    <head>

</head>

<body>
    		<center>
    			<form name="custInfo" id="custInfo" autocomplete="on">
    				<fieldset>
    				<legend>Required Customer Information</legend>
    					<label>First Name:<input id="firstName" name="name" type="text" placeholder="Forename" autofocus></label>
    					<label>Surname:<input id="Surname" name="sName" type="text" placeholder="Surname"></label>
    					<label>Telephone:<input id="tel" name="telephoneNum" type="tel" placeholder="07123456789"></label>
    					<label>Email Address:<input id="emailer" name="email" type="email" placeholder="email@email.com"></label>
    					<br />
    					<input type="button" value="Submit!" onclick="isValid()" />
    				</fieldset>
    			</form>
    		</center>
    <script src="javascript.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
    </body>
    </html>

Ah!

Now I understand what Padonak meant by the Javascript needing to be underneath the form.

Thankyou very much for pointing that out an thanks for the replies and help everyone. Much appreciated.

Could someone please explain this line to me. Don't really understand it very well -

Code:
    function gPD(element){var left=element.offsetLeft,top=element.offsetTop;for(var parent=element.offsetParent;parent;parent=parent.offsetParent){left+=parent.offsetLeft;top+=parent.offsetTop;}return{left:left,top:top,width:element.offsetWidth,height:element.offsetHeight};}

Padonak's code is absolutely brilliant.

Can you go further to change the telephone number to format 123-555-2345 x 7890? When you type the first three area code, it automatically moves to the first 5 so you can type another three then region code, then moves to 2 so you can type last four then moves to 7, so you can type none, or 1, 2, or 3 or 4 digits. Is this possible?

Thanks for your brilliant code, Padonak

i am not familiar with such phone numbers structure we have another way of writing in Russia:

(8987)123-4567

where the first(bold) 8 inside the brackets is always 8. first i need to know everything about your phone numbers format. and by the way i must warn you that i am not a professional coder, coding is just a hobby for me, and my scripts may not be as good as if written by a professional coder

Hi Padonak, your code looks great. You can go with the format as (nnn)nnn-nnnn x nnnnn, or nnn-nnn-nnnn x nnnnn, n represnts a digit. The x means extension. The last four or five after x can be none, or one up to 5 digits, it's optional.

Thanks for your wonderful code,

ok i'll try )

just don't ask for 3d edition
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you so much, Padonak, your code is absolutely wonderful!

i tested the page in Opera, Safari, Chrome, IE and FF before posting the code I have a simple form wrote up, completely unstyled and plain which you shall see below. What I need to do is for the phone number and email address fields, is to validate whether the correct string is in the fields (numbers/amount of numbers for phone number and whether the email address is valid)

www.automateandvalidate.com

Jamewallace, feel free to take the code discussed above and fit it to your needs

Thread Information