www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: WordPress, is it worth learning?

WordPress, is it worth learning?

I have a certificate in website design and development but i have yet to touch this site called "wordpress" but i hear it is getting pretty popular, What should i know?

Quote Originally Posted by Britterzz View Post
    i hear it is getting pretty popular
    Forgive me for chuckling at this. It's the #1 blogging software and has been for awhile. It has a large active user base who have created various plugins to further add functionally to it. Many new designers and developers start getting their hands dirty by making various modifications to a WP install even if it be just via changing the layout, or digging into the PHP/MySQL code. If nothing else, set up a local web sever, download the latest version and start to play around with it. I won't say knowing how to tweak a WP build is required, but it can only help as some websites need little more than what a WP install offers. Drupla and Joomla are also good tools to be familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by spufi View Post
    Forgive me for chuckling at this. It's the #1 blogging software and has been for awhile. It has a large active user base who have created various plugins to further add functionally to it. Many new designers and developers start getting their hands dirty by making various modifications to a WP install even if it be just via changing the layout, or digging into the PHP/MySQL code. If nothing else, set up a local web sever, download the latest version and start to play around with it. I won't say knowing how to tweak a WP build is required, but it can only help as some websites need little more than what a WP install offers. Drupla and Joomla are also good tools to be familiar with.
    You may chuckle all you want, I would rather build my own sites rather then be editing a blog, if you know what i mean, so that's why i haven't looked into it. I guess i assumed people could figure out how to make their own blog nice, just like everyone used to do with myspace years ago.

Saying Myspace and looking nice is like saying oil and water mix. A Myspace page of a teenager made me want to drink brain bleach. Myspace might have been a number of things, but well coded was not one of them. People use WP just because it is so incredibly easy to use. I would say pretty much any decent web host has it as an install option and the set up takes literally 3 seconds. Add in files from a template and go.

I also prefer doing stuff myself as it does a better job of teaching me what is really going on.

Quote Originally Posted by spufi View Post
    Saying Myspace and looking nice is like saying oil and water mix. A Myspace page of a teenager made me want to drink brain bleach. Myspace might have been a number of things, but well coded was not one of them. People use WP just because it is so incredibly easy to use. I would say pretty much any decent web host has it as an install option and the set up takes literally 3 seconds. Add in files from a template and go.

I also prefer doing stuff myself as it does a better job of teaching me what is really going on.
    True about myspace, but i always did the div set ups, took forever when i was 14 :P So can you use wp as a hosting site, like, does it have to be a blog or can i make a site using it and just buy the domain name with .com Also, i must be really behind I don't even know what you mean when you say has it as an install. sigh. Teach me things.

Quote Originally Posted by Britterzz View Post
    True about myspace, but i always did the div set ups, took forever when i was 14 :P So can you use wp as a hosting site, like, does it have to be a blog or can i make a site using it and just buy the domain name with .com Also, i must be really behind I don't even know what you mean when you say has it as an install. sigh. Teach me things.
    There are free versions of the software that you can use like a Blogger account. The url you are given will be the usual subdomain format. www.mysite.wordpress.com.

You can do an install on a .com site. As I said, most web hosts have the option to install WP. You simply go into your CPanel and click on the WP option. You only need to change a couple things for settings and it installs in seconds.

It is primarily a blogging tool, but plug-ins and tweaking of the code adds more features.

Again, you can get a local copy of it running on your computer. If you are using a Windows OS, XAMPP, AMPPS, or WAMPS are popular ways to get a web server up and running. If you want to get your hands dirty, you can install Apache, PHP, and MySQL individually yourself.

It is a little humorous that you're so seemingly oblivious to it ...

Anywho, it's a matter of preference. If you don't want a career working with WP, stay away from it. If you do, you'd better take a peek. ... It's probably worth a day or two of investigation to see whether you might want to take your career in that direction.

But, don't invest too much time learning skills you don't intend to use. And, keep an eye on which skills are in demand. You can certainly find work w/out knowing anything about WP or any other blogging software. (And you'll probably always be able to.)

I, for one, have managed to stay away from modding WP or any other blogging or wiki software. The vast majority of my code has fallen into two categories: in-house solutions, and customizations (including integrations) for proprietary solutions, like Dynamics CRM and GP.
    Jon Wire

thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

Use CODE tags!

Its worth learning. Its easy to learn quickly too. If you learn wordpress, sure it will help you in future domain works.

Wordpress for business

Hi Britterzz.

I highly recommend moving forward with Wordpress. There are a ton of major businesses that choose it for their platform, so it's more than just "editing a blog."

I haven't done a site in a while where the blog remained the home page as standard. Rather, the settings let you change your home page to a static page and create menus from there.

I like WP because I can elaborate with other creatives via themes and plugins. This cuts down tremendously on time. Rather than coding out a site, which I'm not very good at anyways, I can rely on other people's themes. I am a member of Woothemes and I highly recommend you join too! They have a monthly program for developers that allows access to numerous themes.

Additionally, you wouldn't believe how many plugins are out there. Just recently, I have utilized a crowdfunding plugin, a Facebook Tab plugin, inventory plugin and so much more. My new favorite Word Press plugin is buddypress, which provides social connectivity.

My advice is to view Wordpress differently than you view a blog. Wordpress is more elaborate and has higher functionality and possibilities than Squarespace, Blogger and definitely Myspace. That was a funny comparison... Anyhow, you can build anything and everything on WP and I'm sure you'll get it done in a fraction of the time that you are used to.

By the way, you are looking for Wordpress.org, not .com. I think you'll find .com a little amateurish.

Best of luck. Hope you enjoy!

Thread Information