www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Newbie Help about php and CMS

Newbie Help about php and CMS

Hey guys,

I've been in charge of creating a website for the last 2 years (I'm the owner). The concept is very similar to gettyimages or jupiterimages.com style website. But the content is a little different. (The site is not public, sorry)

I have outsourced all the work except the design and look, that is my expertise.

Here's my question...

We have built the website using php and mySQL, some jquery here and there. The Admin section is php. You basicly submit content through our custom control panel and that will submit the items to the front-end of the website. User retrives emails when they signup, they have their own Lightbox on the website, they can search for products and much more.

It works pretty well. But someone told me I need better framework or a more established CMS system. Is this true? My coders say the Admin will work fine. But what about in the future, should we pull everything into Wordpress? Or just keep building our own CMS for the site?

I just didn't want to reinvent the wheel or anything. Pulling everything into a pre-manufactered CMS system could take forever and we just don't have the time.

What is your take on it?

Thanks in advance.

-Mark

A framework is there to help, but I would not drive architecture decisions simply based on "You should use a framework," just as you should not use, say, PHP simply because someone says "You should use PHP."

That being said, using the right framework (or CMS) for your situation can help, in that it can take care of a lot of the "grunt work" and let you concentrate on the business logic. However, if you already have a working application that satisfies your needs (i.e.: it already handles all that "grunt work"), I would not convert it over to some framework just for the sake of using it. If at some point you find you are having issues with scalability or maintainability and the site needs re-engineering, at that point you might want to ask, "Which framework should I use."

But that is a lot of "ifs", so the short answer is probably expressed as, "It depends."
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thanks for the reply.

What are proper "web practices" though when it comes to building a site?

hi. im a web developer.

in my opinion, a custom CMS in better than framework cms like wordpress, stince i can put all what i really needed or essential on the cms, where in wordpress there are things/features in there that you dont really need,

so far, i have created more or less 12 websites with cms, only one form them is created with wordpress as requested by the client

Hi JR, thanks for the reply.

So basically you make your CMS backend all php?

...wih codeIgniter (php framework).

Thread Information